How Can I Keep My Betta From Being Bored?

Bettythebetta

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This is going to be a long story before the question. So, I have my betta in a 5.5 gallon fish tank. It has a plant and some moss balls in it, and decorations in it for her to explore. I have a cat, and I put a cat toy that has feathers on it next to my fish tank. My betta started flaring at the feathers thinking it was another betta Anyways, this is the first fish I’ve had that I feel a real connection with, and I truly love her. My username is named after her, and my profile picture is a picture of her. I looked up how to keep a betta happy and entertained, and I found a video on training your betta to follow your finger. I was trying to train her to follow my finger, but she seems scared of it. How can I help her?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I make plastic mesh tunnels, caves, and enrichment toys for bettas to play with

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A laser pointer. It’ll keep you entertained too lol.

Goldiemom

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My kids were shining a laser at my goldfish years ago and it burned a hole in her. She died the next day. Of course, that was 15 years ago and I’m sure lazers are different now.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Geez, that sounds like a weapon lol. I’m just talking about the ones they sell for cats.

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You can buy some new decorations and add them into her tank and take them out, switch them around when doing water changes. I also place newspaper around the tank so my bettas can "read" them. They can just look at the colours and have fun looking outside their tanks. You can add in that cool tank decoration of a chest powered by a air pump that opens when too many bubbles fill it, have a fake robotic fish swim with her (maybe. I don't know what effect it might have since it's powered by batteries). There's many things to keep her entertained.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could also go to any pond, lake, or natural bodies of water and net some daphnia and let him chase them.

Goldiemom

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Repolie said:
You can buy some new decorations and add them into her tank and take them out, switch them around when doing water changes. I also place newspaper around the tank so my bettas can "read" them. They can just look at the colours and have fun looking outside their tanks. You can add in that cool tank decoration of a chest powered by a air pump that opens when too many bubbles fill it. Have a fake robotic fish swim with her (maybe. I don't know what effect it might have since it's powered by batteries) there's many things to keep her entertained.
I wish I had suggestions for you. Mine has taken up tail biting as a hobby!

SarahEJC

Reaction score
Bettas like to sit and chill so a little cave thing would be good, a hollow log decoration or large cholla wood, also they like a little resting spot near the top while making a bubble nest or getting some air, you can use an almond leaf and stick it to the side of the tank near the top as a little leaf bed. Live plants, maybe get a mystery snail.

TheeLadyG

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Live food! Anything they have to hunt and catch is awesome enrichment for them.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
Live food is a good suggestion. I feed my betta FD blackworms quite frequently, and when I do, I hold the worm with a small clipper, move it around the surface and make him chase it. Sometimes way across the tank, lol

OP
Bettythebetta

Bettythebetta

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Goldiemom said:
My kids were shining a laser at my goldfish years ago and it burned a hole in her. She died the next day. Of course, that was 15 years ago and I’m sure lazers are different now.

imba said:
Live food is a good suggestion. I feed my betta FD blackworms quite frequently, and when I do, I hold the worm with a small clipper, move it around the surface and make him chase it. Sometimes way across the tank, lol
I’m going to try to get some live food today

AquaticJ said:
A laser pointer. It’ll keep you entertained too lol.
Tried it! Thanks! I’ll post a new topic showing the video!

PrincessBettafish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a chalk marker that I use to label my tanks, and I'll draw dots in different places in the glass. They get really curious and feisty when they see something in front of their tank they're not used to.

LuxuriantTen

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I know people will disagree with me here but tank mates can really help keeping a betta active and entertained too. 5.5g may be a bit small for a tankmate tho but a couple of snails/shrimp could work.

OP
Bettythebetta

Bettythebetta

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LuxuriantTen said:
I know people will disagree with me here but tank mates can really help keeping a betta active and entertained too. 5.5g may be a bit small for a tankmate tho but a couple of snails/shrimp could work.
Thanks! I might get a snail. I also have another betta that’s in a community tank, and he’s pretty happy.

New Threads