How can I help my goldies

1. P

PiratePupTN New Member Member

So I got three of the prettiest and healthiest comets out of the feeder tank at the pet store the other day and they have just stayed in the same corner for since introducing them to the new home. I was wondering if there was anything I could do to help them? They seem afraid.

2. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank, what are the parameters, temp, other fish?

3. OP
    OP
    P

It's a shallow tub like the kind that slide under the bed. The water is fresh conditioned from the tap. I have 20gal tank that uses the same water source. The water is about 68-70 degrees. There is no heater but I am using an old filter to make a waterfall to stir the water. There are some plants to help clean the water.

The goldfish are the only fish.

4. FreshAquariums

FreshAquariums Valued Member Member

Might be just adapting, Goldfish also enjoy cold water. (or most do) and most feeder fish carry diseases so I would be sure to also check for any unusual activity or physical "marks"

5. OP
    OP
    P

Is there anything I can give them for like preventative care.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'm sorry but the best thing you can do for your goldfish is return them back to the store. These types get over a foot long in the right conditions and really just belong in a pond. Having them in an uncycled shallow tub is really not the best home for them.

7. OP
    OP
    P

I realize they get big. I am waiting to see what is going on with my family because these guys are destined for an aquaponics system. I added the proper bacteria supplement that say you can add fish soon after. I used the same stuff with my tropicals. The tub is about 30gal. It's really supposed to be a temporary home bigger than a 10gal tank.

8. FreshAquariums

bacterial meds (and fungal) such as Pimafix.

9. OP
    OP
    P

Alright I will look for some of that. Other just being very still in one spot they don't seem to have anything wrong with them. I have noticed they change locations when I check on them in the morning and before I go to bed. I feed them before I leave the room for extended amounts of time. They seem to eat all the food. Maybe the space in the tub is to open with not enough cover.

10. el337

Bacteria supplements don't allow you to cycle your tank instantly. Even the best ones require at least 2 weeks to cycle provided you have a small enough bioload in the appropriate tank size. With 3 messy goldfish in a 30g tub, it will be a challenge.

I would not blindly treat with meds as they can be harsh and will cause even more stress. They are most likely stressed being in a small uncycled tub as mentioned before. Do you own a test kit?

11. FreshAquariums

How long have you had them again?

12. OP
    OP
    P

For a couple of days.

13. FreshAquariums

didn't mean to just randomly pour medicines into the tank...

They probably just need to adapt for a while (like a week or 2) I've honestly never had feeder fish but am highly considering it for aquaponics

14. OP
    OP
    P

I did use some extra gravel and filter from my 10gallons and I have the water flowing through some plants.

15. el337

If there are no symptoms other than staying in a corner, there's no reason to treat with meds.

16. OP
    OP
    P

So they are probably adjusting from going from a crowed tank to a mostly empty one with new sounds and stuff.

17. FreshAquariums

that's why I said earlier if symptoms...

most likely and hopefully :)

18. OP
    OP
    P

So I found so fake plants that I wasn't using so I added them to the tub to add more cover. [​IMG]

Do you think it will help them feel better? Or maybe safer. If they go back to the store they will definitely die. At least here they have a chance and I didn't stick them in a fish bowl.

[​IMG]

Now the fish have plenty to hide under or near! Threw in a lid from one of those Betta cups and some styrofoam cup haves that I was trying to get my bettas to make bubble nests under.

19. FreshAquariums

(true) that should be plenty tbh, did u add declorinator btw?

20. OP
    OP
    P

Of course! Never add new water without it. Even when I am topping off. I just don't know what is in this city water.