How can I help my angelfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by piangels, Aug 11, 2015.

1. piangels

piangelsNew MemberMember

IMG_5116.JPG My husband and I started an aquarium a year ago when we got married and we got two angelfish to put in there about 8 months ago. Sadly last week one of them died. This morning when I woke up the other angelfish has stopped eating, has a very bloated belly (it looks like theres a small marble in his belly :( ), and his poop is about 6 times thicker than usual and a pale pink/beige color..... He is normally very social, he comes up to the top and eats out of my fingers, he always comes up to the front of the glass and does a little 'dance' anytime someone looks into the aquarium. He has quite the personality. As did Sunshine (the other angelfish). I don't know what to do or how to help him and I'm afraid he might be past helping because he isn't eating. He was just fine yesterday and ate well. We feed them flakes, frozen bloodworms, and a frozen blend (brine shrimp, daphnia, etc). However we ran out of the blend about three weeks ago. Does anyone know how i can help my angelfish??? All the levels are like they always have been. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 10-15 nitrate. We have moved him into the tank with the guppies (2) and cory cats and ottos (29 gallon). He was in a tank with rainbows, swordtails and danios and one blue ram (55 gallon). Preview attachment IMG_5116.JPGIMG_5116.JPG1.6 MB

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

3. OP
    OP
    piangels

piangelsNew MemberMember

Thanks, I added the pic now. Sorry it's sideways
    hopefully you can see what i'm talking about

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Are you sure that's poop? Looks like something may have prolapsed :(

5. OP
    OP
    piangels

piangelsNew MemberMember

Prolapsed? As in it could be something that is supposed to be inside of him?

How do I tell for sure? I have no idea?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  6. TexasDomer

Yes. It's possible that what's sticking out is his bowels, turned inside out (not sure of the correct anatomical terms for fish?). Is it always there, or does it fall from his body (like poop would)?

7. OP
    OP
    piangels

piangelsNew MemberMember

It doesn't fall from his body. Still just right there stuck onto him where his poop would normally come out. Is there anyway to treat it or no?

what about the really bloated belly?

8. TexasDomer

Sounds like a prolapse. As far as I'm aware, there's not much you can do in a fish. For humans and other animals, surgery can fix it, but that's not usually practical in a fish.

If it is a prolapse, the most you can do is keep up with regular water changes to keep the water as clean as possible. It may fix itself on its own, or it may get worse. Sorry :(

As for the bloated belly, that could be from him being constipated since he's not able to defecate properly with the prolapse. I'd fast him for a few days and see if that helps. Fish can go a few weeks without food, so you won't be hurting him by fasting him.

9. OP
    OP
    piangels

piangelsNew MemberMember

Okay so i was just sitting there and watching it and it (the part that's sticking out of him) just got big and slowly an air bubble came out of it (like he passed gas?) :/.

is the bloated belly related to the prolapse?

10. TexasDomer

Probably.

11. OP
    OP
    piangels

piangelsNew MemberMember

ok. Thank you for your help. Poor boy. It makes me so sad. :(

12. TexasDomer

Hopefully he recovers on his own!