How Can I Grow Green Algae?

• Thread starter Panda_Mo
  • Start date

Panda_Mo

I have a 10 gallon and a 55 gallon, both still cycling. I usually end up growing nasty brown algae (diatoms) when I try to grow green algea. Since the tank doesn't have fish in it yet I was thinking that I could just leave the lights on 24/7 but again I usually end up growing brown algea. I think green algae on the rocks in my tank would look beautiful please, help

PhillyKev

Why not use Java moss for decoration? It would be very hard to grow one type of algare and not another.

Panda_Mo

PhillyKev said:
Why not use Java moss for decoration? It would be very hard to grow one type of algare and not another.
Green algae on rocks looks amazing, just my opinion though.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
I wish I'd just grow diatoms. Fish and shrimp love it, easy to remove and all round, blend in well with my rocks/wood.

Green algae tends to develop in mature setups without assistance IMO. Give it time for the diatoms to die off, and then you'll be wishing you never thought about green algae.

kallililly1973

Fishlore Legend
You can try to grow some green algae by taking a small container with some rocks and water in it and leave it outside in the sun or in a sunny window sill for a few days to a week. That should get you some. I wouldn't leave your tank lights on you could get more than what your asking for. Try the container method first.

Panda_Mo

kallililly1973 said:
You can try to grow some green algae by taking a small container with some rocks and water in it and leave it outside in the sun or in a sunny window sill for a few days to a week. That should get you some. I wouldn't leave your tank lights on you could get more than what your asking for. Try the container method first.
I'll definitely try this

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
I’m with the java moss. Looks like algae. Last thing you want is algae growing all over your tank. See that’s what happens. It doesn’t just grow on rocks it grows on everything.

Panda_Mo

86 ssinit said:
I’m with the java moss. Looks like algae. Last thing you want is algae growing all over your tank. See that’s what happens. It doesn’t just grow on rocks it grows on everything.
That's true I'll grab java moss too and see which one I like better

Top Bottom