How can I get rid of this algae?

ryl33a

For a few months now I’ve had this algae covering my tank on and off. No matter how many times I clean the tank, and even take the plants out and rinse them off, it keeps coming back!!!! It’s only covering the plants and mostly their roots, which upsets me because I really don’t want them to die because of this. My tank has good water flow, not too much light, good water parameters. What is causing this? What kind of algae is it? How can I get rid of it for GOOD?

Tank is 6.5 gallons with a nerite snail in it for now (my betta died of old age and I’m looking at getting a new one)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 34

Unknown9182

For a few months now I’ve had this algae covering my tank on and off. No matter how many times I clean the tank, and even take the plants out and rinse them off, it keeps coming back!!!! It’s only covering the plants and mostly their roots, which upsets me because I really don’t want them to die because of this. My tank has good water flow, not too much light, good water parameters. What is causing this? What kind of algae is it? How can I get rid of it for GOOD?

Tank is 6.5 gallons with a nerite snail in it for now (my betta died of old age and I’m looking at getting a new one)
You may want to get a UV filter for this kind of algae and you might want to start dosing liquid co2. Looks like the kind of algae you would see in lakes.

MacZ

Considering the size of the tank: Do a restart. You can reuse the filter media though, so you don't have to completely cycle from scratch.

Take everything out besides the substrate, toss the plants, clean the driftwood (just a rinse with tankwater is enough), refill, rescape. And leave the AT-AT out, it takes away valuable space for plants.

When getting new plants aim for cheap and fast growing. You have to start off with a decent amount, don't think you can grow them out, they have to be enough to outcompete the algae.

Also try to get a good maintenance from the start.

You may want to get a UV filter for this kind of algae and you might want to start dosing liquid co2. Looks like the kind of algae you would see in lakes.
Overkill. A restart is cheaper, quicker and works without costly equipment or chemicals.

ryl33a

Thank you! I’ll look into getting one. I was dosing the liquid co2 for a while but it didn’t seem to be helping. I’ll start doing it again.

Unknown9182

Considering the size of the tank: Do a restart. You can reuse the filter media though, so you don't have to completely cycle from scratch.

Take everything out besides the substrate, toss the plants, clean the driftwood (just a rinse with tankwater is enough), refill, rescape. And leave the AT-AT out, it takes away valuable space for plants.

When getting new plants aim for cheap and fast growing. You have to start off with a decent amount, don't think you can grow them out, they have to be enough to outcompete the algae.

Overkill. A restart is cheaper, quicker and works without costly equipment or chemicals.
I agree with the restart, the UV filter would work as a long term solution as a preventative to the algae.

MacZ

I agree with the restart, the UV filter would work as a long term solution as a preventative to the algae.
With cyanobacteria and black beard algae I agree, otherwise there are a lot of alternatives to that. Also, a UV filter would mean the OP has to get an external filter and other equipment.

good water parameters.
Meaning?

ryl33a

Thanks! I actually did that last week and started over, bought new plants, etc. it just keeps coming back. I would get rid of the AT AT, but the tank is a Star Wars theme so that would kind of ruin it.
With cyanobacteria and black beard algae I agree, otherwise there are a lot of alternatives to that. Also, a UV filter would mean the OP has to get an external filter and other equipment.

Meaning?
Ammonia: >0.25

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

PH: 7.0

GH: >66 ppm

KH: >89 pp

MacZ

Besides the fact your tank might not be cycled anymore (Nitrate 0):

- What is your maintenance schedule?
- What filter are you running? (Type and filter media)
- How long are the lights running?
- Do you still dose any fertilizers?

mattgirl

Read up on cyanobacteria to see if you are dealing with it instead of some type of an actual algae.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Olivia Janae
  • Algae
Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
  • Sab80
  • Algae
Replies
Views