How Can I Get Multi's to be More Outgoing?

Zach72202

Currently I have 4 multis in a 40B tank with about 4 dozen shells for them to hide in. I see they are making themselves at home re-arranging it all, but everytime I come up to the tank to see them they always hide instantly or sit just outside the shell doing nothing watching me. I wish I could see them do their thing, digging and such, but they are constantly afraid. Even when I feed them they don't come out to eat, nor have I ever seen them eat, but food does disappear so I know they are at least a bit. I don't necessarily want to add dither fish as with pairs of multis they may get attacked, but what could I do in this instance? They have been in there for at least a few weeks now.

Thanks for reading!

MonsterGar

They might get more used to you over time, but the best option is to add more fish. But that doesn't necessarily mean you have to add a small, peaceful, schooling fish species. Rainbow fish are too big, fast, and boisterous to be bullied by the shell-dwellers, but will highly encourage them to come out more often. Maybe you can even do another african cichlid, such as an altolamprologus sp. Although with that option you may have some problems with your shell-dweller fry being eaten. Most barbs would work well too.

Upvote 0

Zach72202

They might get more used to you over time, but the best option is to add more fish. But that doesn't necessarily mean you have to add a small, peaceful, schooling fish species. Rainbow fish are too big, fast, and boisterous to be bullied by the shell-dwellers, but will highly encourage them to come out more often. Maybe you can even do another african cichlid, such as an altolamprologus sp. Although with that option you may have some problems with your shell-dweller fry being eaten. Most barbs would work well too.
I like the raibowfish idea. I do want to get into some dwarf neon rainbowfish, also called praecox rainbows. Maybe I can get those and add them here in the future... Thanks for the idea!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mouska
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mouska
Replies
Views
Zach72202