how can i get algae of my hornwort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have some hornwort in my aquarium and it has a brown grey algae on it how can get it off. My tank is 29 gallons, lighting is 53 watts total t5s and one t8 no ho bulbs other plant's are swords, java ferns, anubias, water wisteria, crypts, and hydrophila augustifolia. Fish are a pair of German blue rams and 1 apistogramma cacatoidies and 3 red minor tetras soon to be more, 3 algae eaters, 1 unidentified tetra, 1 unidentified baby fish, 1 Cory catfish soon to be more, and 1 celebes rainbow fish going to buy 2 more. Will ghost shrimp eat the algae.

ooosparkeyooo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ghost shrimp may pick at it, but they will probably be picked to death first in your tank. Also your tank seems pretty heavy or getting their on the bio-load, what "algae eaters" do you have? I highly recommend lowering your light, doing more frequent higher water changes and adding more fast growing plants to use up your nutrients in your water. Algae is cause by an excess of minerals and nutrition in the water, IE. poor water quality = great algae quality.

My biggest offer, lower light, more plants, more water changes % and often, lower fish count or raise gallon count. Enjoy.

OP
R

Ryan123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I only plan on adding 2 or 3 more minor tetras and 2 more Cory catfish. They are Chinese algae eaters will be removed when get bigger. And I don't know if I will keep the unidentified fish they are tiny anyway. The 2 more rainbow fish should be fine because they are a smaller they only get 3 inches. I forgot to mention but I have started to grow pothos in my filter so that will remove excess nutrients. And I have duckweed so it will block out light I am pretty full of plants might have a bit of room left. Maybe I will add ludwigia repens or water sprite. There is only a little bit of algae on the glass but mosty on the hornwort none on the other plant's. Any other ideas. My water quality is pretty good trust me it is Crystal clear and I got pretty sensitive fish.

Helmsdeep

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
How long are your lights on each day? You might want to reduce the amount of time rather than the intensity. My algae situation improved when I put my lights on a timer and reduced them to 10 hours a day.

Helmsdeep

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So that's 14 hours total. You might want to reduce it to control the algae. I have mine set to come on at 11:30am and off at 9:30pm. It's only 10 hours of light and by starting later in the morning, I can still enjoy my aquarium when I get home from work.

OP
R

Ryan123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am only 14 so I like to see my tank before I go to school and I like to see it when I get home, but if it will help with the algae I will do that.

shelleyd2008

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you have a timer on your lights or are you just turning it on when you get up and off when you go to bed?

If your room is not dark, I would suggest getting some blue LEDs for the tank so you can see the fish before you leave, then turn the lights on when you get home.

Maybe try having the lights on all day one day then only in the evening (after school) the next day?

OP
R

Ryan123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have my lights on a timer so I am going to set it to come on at 11:30 am and go of at 9:30 pm. Like helmsdeep does, I don't want to get any led light's plus I don't have the money and there is no room, but thanks for the idea.

shelleyd2008

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There are some LED strip lights on eBay, lots of them actually. Several are not very expensive, you'd just need a few to be able to see your fish in the morning

The strip lights either drop in the tank or stick to the underside of the hood. They don't really take up any more space

OP
R

Ryan123

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually don't use a hood but I am going to buy a glass top. I set my lights to come on at six and go out at six. Thanks for the tip, but I leave at six forty so I will see my fish.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I am only 14 so I like to see my tank before I go to school and I like to see it when I get home, but if it will help with the algae I will do that.
Yeah, you need to reduce your photoperiod down around to 8 hours. Algae likes light just as much as plants do and when there is excess light....algae is happy to take advantage. If it gets too bad then reducing down to 6 hours may be needed to combat. Thats just how it is. Good luck with the algae.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 20.4%

Top Bottom