How Can I Figure Exact Gallons?

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Without taking the water out and measure the amount, is there anyway to figure out how my gallons of actual water fills my tank with gravel and decor/plants?

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
USE THE METRIC SYSTEM. It is so much easier. Length X Width X Water level / 1000. That is how many liters the tank is.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No. You’d have to either measure the amount of water it takes to fill it or measure the change of a known quantity of water when you add the decor and plants to it.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MikeRad89 said:
No. You’d have to either measure the amount of water it takes to fill it or measure the change of a known quantity of water when you add the decor and plants to it.
Boo. Alright. Thx

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you take your decorations out of the full tank, you can get a rough estimate by using water line down to substrate as height. It's not perfect, but water in your substrate doesn't really count anyways.

MikeRad89

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Without taking the water out and measure the amount, is there anyway to figure out how my gallons of actual water fills my tank with gravel and decor/plants?
Seems a few of us can’t read.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. Measure the tank from side to side for the width and front to back fot the debth. But for the height, measure from the top of your gravel/sand to the top of the water. Multiply these three numbers times each other and divide the total by 231. W x L x H ÷ 231 = gallons of water.
ASHLEY R COOK said:
Oh...plant volume is negligible. But for ornaments, if they're small enough to fit in a 2 cup size Measure cup, you can put them in a measuring cup, fill it to the 2 cup mark, pull the ornament out, and subtract what's left to tell you how much is left. For a larger ornament. Fill a container or bucket with a known amount of water, for example 2 gallons and mark inside the container where the top of the water is. Dump out the water and place your ornaments in the container and fill the bucket to the mark you made at the 2 gallon level. Then remove the ornaments and measure the amount of water left. Subtract that from 2 gallons and that will tell you how much water to subtract for the ornaments volume.
finnipper59 said:
Yes. Measure the tank from side to side for the width and front to back fot the debth. But for the height, measure from the top of your gravel/sand to the top of the water. Multiply these three numbers times each other and divide the total by 231. W x L x H ÷ 231 = gallons of water.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom