How Can I Feed My Pleco Without Feeding My Snails?

AustinS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My bristlenose pleco is still rather small (2") so it takes its time eating the wafers I give him, periodically grazing. Unfortunately, this gives my pest snails enough time to blanket the thing and chow down. I already have natural means of removal for the snails (assassin snails), but their population will never plateau or decline if I give them a buffet every two seconds. The amount of eggs I spot has increased drastically since I've introduced my pleco into my aquarium due to the food source.

I'm not concerned with my pleco getting enough food because it has been growing steadily and looks plump and healthy, regardless of the snails' thievery.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can solve this problem? I can't think of a method of feeding my pleco without giving the snails access as well. Thanks for any ideas! :emoji_grin:

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My bristlenose pleco is still rather small (2") so it takes its time eating the wafers I give him, periodically grazing. Unfortunately, this gives my pest snails enough time to blanket the thing and chow down. I already have natural means of removal for the snails (assassin snails), but their population will never plateau or decline if I give them a buffet every two seconds. The amount of eggs I spot has increased drastically since I've introduced my pleco into my aquarium due to the food source.

I'm not concerned with my pleco getting enough food because it has been growing steadily and looks plump and healthy, regardless of the snails' thievery.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can solve this problem? I can't think of a method of feeding my pleco without giving the snails access as well. Thanks for any ideas! :emoji_grin:
Hi!! Feed less?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Break up your wafers so a few pieces drop down to different areas of the tank. If he looks plump and happy then he is eating and its a good thing the snails are cleaning up the remnants for you.

Roger121

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I feed my pleco using cucumber, the cucumber floats in the water so the pleco eats and the snails cannot swim so they can not eat the cucumber

AustinS

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Break up your wafers so a few pieces drop down to different areas of the tank. If he looks plump and happy then he is eating and its a good thing the snails are cleaning up the remnants for you.
Great idea! That was so obvious now that I think about it. :emoji_sweat_smile: I have some smaller shrimp pellets that I bought when I was going to get corys but then decided against it, so I think I may even try those.

I feed my pleco using cucumber, the cucumber floats in the water so the pleco eats and the snails cannot swim so they can not eat the cucumber
I'll have to try that, thanks! You'd be surprised though, my snails always end up floating upside down on the surface of the water because when they try to go above the waterline, they accidentally unstick. It's a bit of a chore to grab them and help them stick to something again but I can't stand seeing them float around for who knows how long before they are able to grab onto something themselves. :emoji_laughing:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom