How Can I Diy A Pond?

FishFor2018
I'm looking to spend between $100 and $200 on just the pond not including fish. How can I make one with that budget and how big can it be. Some features I would like would be a waterfall and some steps on the side for shallow water. I would also really like to house a bass in it if possible. If I put enough algae eaters in there on top of a waterfall would I still need a filter?and I will add live plants. Any help or suggestions is appreciated! Thank You!

aussieJJDude
Where are you planning on putting it? Outside, inside other? Is it going/do you prefer it to be in ground, semI in ground or above ground?

IMO, best way to do this cheaply and most likely fit your bill would be to get pond liner, dig out a suitable spot (or build a frame if its above ground) line it and then fill it.

If you've got a waterfall, most likely your going to need a pump to pump it. Might as well attach a filter on it to support to bioload. Algae eaters will not filter the water, so you may need to research throughly beforehand.

FishFor2018
Where are you planning on putting it? Outside, inside other? Is it going/do you prefer it to be in ground, semI in ground or above ground?

IMO, best way to do this cheaply and most likely fit your bill would be to get pond liner, dig out a suitable spot (or build a frame if its above ground) line it and then fill it.

If you've got a waterfall, most likely your going to need a pump to pump it. Might as well attach a filter on it to support to bioload. Algae eaters will not filter the water, so you may need to research throughly beforehand.
Ok thanks for the information I was planning to do an outdoor underground pond

Gypsy13
If you’re doing all of the work (not hiring anyone anyway), you can do an inground pond. You will need a filter. Good news, they have waterfall filters. If the bioload isn’t too bad, this type filter works well. You can get fairly decent kits online from amazon and Home Depot/Lowes. eBay is expensive for what you get. If you just have the bass and a few snails you can get away with not spending a fortune. But the bass needs lots of room. If you don’t mind smaller schooling fish, you could do a nice garden pond for around two hundred.

Goldiemom
IMO, you need a larger budget. I just did a garden pond and won’t say what I spent on it.

Gypsy13
IMO, you need a larger budget. I just did a garden pond and won’t say what I spent on it.

Totally. My small frog pond ended up a large fish pond and a large frog pond. No matter how big I make it, I wish it was bigger. Just adding a few feet all around my fish pond. Then I’m out of room. And oh my the money!

FishFor2018
If you’re doing all of the work (not hiring anyone anyway), you can do an inground pond. You will need a filter. Good news, they have waterfall filters. If the bioload isn’t too bad, this type filter works well. You can get fairly decent kits online from amazon and Home Depot/Lowes. eBay is expensive for what you get. If you just have the bass and a few snails you can get away with not spending a fortune. But the bass needs lots of room. If you don’t mind smaller schooling fish, you could do a nice garden pond for around two hundred.
Ok well sad news I really wanted a bass but I didn’t want a huge pond, so if I just do a garden pond how big would that be

so i'm looking to build a 6x4x2 (LxWxH) pond with a small waterfall and I found this Pond Boss DWF8 2000 gph Waterfall Spillway, 14-1/2in.L from walmart here is the link for further information

would this work for a filter also?

I am going to build a 360 gallon pond and I'm planning on getting shubunkins, killfish, and goldfish for the pond. I live in florida so will I need a heater and if so how many watts?

aussieJJDude
Why heat it? You live in Florida!

Ok well sad news I really wanted a bass but I didn’t want a huge pond, so if I just do a garden pond how big would that be
Depending on the fish, I'd aI'm for at least 100g. I would highly consider pre-fab if your looking to save a bit of time and get your feet dipped into ponds before going custom with a pondliner.... a lot can go wrong with liner, so if you do decide to go down that route I highly reccomend researching thoroughly to begin with in order to save money down the road and give you the most success!

Discus-Tang
Don't bother heating it. Just don't add killifish. They are incompatible with goldfish.

aussieJJDude
Don't bother heating it. Just don't add killifish. They are incompatible with goldfish.
Why not? Flagfish for example are native to the region and large enough not to become prey to goldies IMO.

Goldiemom
I bought my preformed pond from Lowe’s and also got my filter and pump their. I just bought a spitter instead of a waterfall.

RainBetta
After reading the description, that only appears to be a pump, not a filter.

dinosaur act
providing you can put a sponge on the intake or out take, yes. you will pretty much be creating a powered sponge filter.
Would need to be a massive bit of sponge tho if that is all you was planing on using as a filter. May need more filtration whit more flow tho but some thing like that would work as a basic filter.

hope this helps!

Gypsy13
You can YouTube diy container ponds. You may find something that fits your budget. Especially if you don’t mind starting out with smaller fish. I have two stock tanks I use when I’m doing clean outs or if I have to do fish checks. Neither one cost much. From tractor supply. You just have to make sure you wash the container thoroughly and rinse. A lot. But an all in one filter waterfall would be the biggest expense. I’ve seen them for less than eighty bucks though. Don’t give up your dream of a pond. Just start small. See if it’s worth the work to you.

Discus-Tang
Why not? Flagfish for example are native to the region and large enough not to become prey to goldies IMO.
They are tropical, no?

aussieJJDude
FishFor2018
Ok thanks for all your help but I think I will just buy a normal pond filter. Thank You!

okay thank you everyone! I have done some thinking and I will start out with a small pond with some goldfish and a smaller breed of pleco. After a year I will see how it goes and I might build a bigger pond.

Gypsy13
okay thank you everyone! I have done some thinking and I will start out with a small pond with some goldfish and a smaller breed of pleco. After a year I will see how it goes and I might build a bigger pond.

Keep in mind the type of goldfish. Adult size does matter. And, the more you have the bigger filter you will need. Unfortunately goldfish and plecos make a big bioload. BIG.

FishFor2018
Keep in mind the type of goldfish. Adult size does matter. And, the more you have the bigger filter you will need. Unfortunately goldfish and plecos make a big bioload. BIG.
I will be getting a filter big enough for a 500 gallon pond and I’m starting with around a 200 gallon pond would that be okay I only plan on getting 4 goldfish and 2 brittle nose plecos.

75g Discus Tank
I will be getting a filter big enough for a 500 gallon pond and I’m starting with around a 200 gallon pond would that be okay I only plan on getting 4 goldfish and 2 brittle nose plecos.
Depends on the goldfish kind and the GPH of the filter.

I would skip the plecos as a cold day can kill them. The goldfish will be fine though.

maggie thecat
For a goldfish pond you don't need a heater. Some areas north of Florida need to use a deicer in the winter to keep their ponds from freezing over completely so they can have air exchange.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• FishFor2018
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
FishFor2018
  • Potato1
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
saltwater60
  • Cheesecake