How can I curb aggresive behaviour w/ Danios? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by tatty_kassy, Apr 15, 2010.

1. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

I know that Danio's are an aggressive fish and I have tried my best to do what the description recommended by having 6 or more Danios ( I have 6) and to only put other fish in there that are compatable.
    My other fish are all doing good, fins are great with no rips or tears.
    However, my Danio's are all attacking eachother! The biggest one pretty much has almost no tail left, and my pregnant one only has half a top fin left. One other one has a very large belly-fin (Sorry I don't know the proper terminology) that has been pretty much chewed off.
    I checked the description for Fin Rot and it doesn't appear that they have that. There is no discoloration, no blood, they eat and are active, I am pretty sure it is from Fin nipping.
    I rearranged the tank a bit last night, made one side a bit more clustered with plants and one side is a bit more open with less stuff. My hope is that maybe having a dense area will allow the fish to hide more easily if they want to. So far, just from observing their behavior this morning, they are staying in the open area just swimming around in a mad cluster of what I can only describe as "Tag."
    Is there anything else I can do to calm them down a bit?? I don't want them constantly having to be on the run for their lives :;dk

2. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

I would keep a close eye on them and see if you can spot one or two that seem to be starting the problem. Your best bet would be to watch them first thing in the morning when you turn on the lights and they first get really active. If you can identify the problem fish, then I would recommend removing it and see if you can trade it in for a calmer specimen. Alot of times that will do the trick, although danios are kind of hectic little fish to begin with. You'll also want to keep an eye on the injured ones and make sure they don't get any infections where they've been nipped.

3. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Oh I know exactly who the culprits are. When I got the tank, it came with 3 Danios. One of those danios was almost 2 1/2 inches long, so he was byfar the biggest. I then went and purchased 3 more Danios to add to the pack, making a total of six. Everything was good for about 2 weeks and then one of the new Danios got to be big enough to challenge the old danio. Since then, they have been chasing eachother constantly, and it seems to stir the others because they join in. The others arn't as constant or quick, and they only keep their chase to a short burst or two.
    And I checked with my LPS, and they do NOT take fish back after the 1 week period. They do not take donation fish either! So my only option would be to find someone on Kijiji that wants to take them, and I don't know if that will happen.
    I am pretty much stuck with them, if the store took fish I would be getting rid of all of them and replacing them with Platies and mollies, but I can't do that. So my friend, I am stuck with them.
    Anything else I can do??

4. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

if you have a q-tank, you could move the troublemaker for a few weeks, then move him back.

5. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

I am waiting a few paycheques before I get a quarantine tank, I am a newbie and I just started nearly a month ago. :D
    I have a large container and an extra heater and bubble stone, but I don't want to use it as I have washed the container and heater w/ soap before.

Does tank temp affect their moods??

6. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I guess I got lucky, mines are fine and always have been! They are active, and chase, but never have they done any nipping. (My long finned one lost his entire tail when he got stuck in the filter, but that's a whole other enemy!!!)

I had a wayward female guppy (I kid you not, she's by far the most aggressive fish I've seen). I isolated her for a week, in a tank by herself, and after that she was fine... You could try it if you have the resource for it. It's a long shot, but worth a go.

7. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

Thats kinda funny actually because my female guppy is also the queen of the tank lol
    Shes definitely not afraid of any of the other fish, if a Danio so much as gets too close she backs him up, shes always the first to eat, even with all those ravinous little guys flitting around.
    After watching the tank even for a few short weeks, I already have a pretty good idea of how things operate in there, community wise. I am sure that one of the new Danios has gotten big enough to challenge my Big danio and he is just gung-ho on getting the top dog position. The Pregnant one is getting mauled because for some reason she keeps getting in the middle of their brawls.

They are going to have to fight it out for another month or so at least because thats when I can afford to buy more fish stuff. I already have spent what I can afford over the past two weeks and I really hadn't planned on doing another shop for at least a month...

8. Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Are you sure that the pregnant one isn't the only female? If she is that could actually be the source of your problems.

9. tatty_kassyValued MemberMember

3 boys, 3 girls. I checked them out thoroughly and I am pretty certain of this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice