How can I create my own decor?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by betta fan 99, Jul 9, 2015.

1. betta fan 99

betta fan 99Well Known MemberMember

I really want to sculpt my own decor for my 55 gal. But don't know how to go about doing it. I hear people sculpting ceramics stuff for their tanks. Will that work? Or could I clear coat polymer clay? I would like what I'm sculpting to have color (colored clay or paint) but if it's not fish safe I can skip it or try to clear coat it. Any suggestions? :;thx

2. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

I believe that a paint by the general name fusion adhesion is quite aquarium safe ( I do know that the stuff that I used certainly was). It does come in a clear covering, which would seem ideal to cover your sculpture safely, regardless of any paint toxicity beneath the fusion covering.
    The only thing that I have sculpted in my life would be my toe nails, once a decade, with a chainsaw, but I have used this paint for woods that would be otherwise toxic, as would my toe nails. Best of luck, and hope this helps (the paint stuff, not the grooming tips:) )- rick BETTA fan 98

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  3. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

I know Terra Cotta is actually completely fish safe, its also porous enough that it provides good surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. I was actually thinking about that the other day, I need to look into how hard it is to fire terra cotta.

4. OP
    OP
    betta fan 99

betta fan 99Well Known MemberMember

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the things that were suggested.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice