How can I create my own decor?

betta fan 99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I really want to sculpt my own decor for my 55 gal. But don't know how to go about doing it. I hear people sculpting ceramics stuff for their tanks. Will that work? Or could I clear coat polymer clay? I would like what I'm sculpting to have color (colored clay or paint) but if it's not fish safe I can skip it or try to clear coat it. Any suggestions? x

ricmcc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I believe that a paint by the general name fusion adhesion is quite aquarium safe ( I do know that the stuff that I used certainly was). It does come in a clear covering, which would seem ideal to cover your sculpture safely, regardless of any paint toxicity beneath the fusion covering.
The only thing that I have sculpted in my life would be my toe nails, once a decade, with a chainsaw, but I have used this paint for woods that would be otherwise toxic, as would my toe nails. Best of luck, and hope this helps (the paint stuff, not the grooming tips )- rick BETTA fan 98

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I know Terra Cotta is actually completely fish safe, its also porous enough that it provides good surface area for beneficial bacteria to grow. I was actually thinking about that the other day, I need to look into how hard it is to fire terra cotta.

betta fan 99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for the responses. I will look into the things that were suggested.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads