How Can I Avoid Pest Worms?

KatHasAFish

Hello!
I asked my friend what she would like for the holidays and she responded with Java Moss and some Red Root Floaters. I have looked at some amazon reviews from all different sellers and both of these plants seem to commonly have worm problems... Well, there always seems to be at least one review saying they had some sort of worm problem after purchasing either of these plants, even from some of the really good sellers I could find. Should I take the chance and buy them as long as I quarantine them first? What would quarantining them entail, and how do I ensure they are free from worms?

Shadestream

I don't think theres much you can do to guarantee that there wont be any worms so I would just say go with one that has a guaranteed return if something like that happens

KatHasAFish

Hmm I suppose that is a good idea but I want to prevent them from getting into my tanks altogether

Evergreen2

There's no way to guarantee it. Do a bleach dip, but because you are dealing with more delicate plants, there's no way to know if you'll end up killing the floaters

Mudminnow

You may well already know this and just don't like worms. But, just in case, I'll mention that the vast majority of worms that come with plants won't cause any problems in your tank. In fact, they often just end up as fish food.

So, if you're concerned that the worms will pose a danger to your tank in some way, I wouldn't worry.

KatHasAFish

You may well already know this and just don't like worms. But, just in case, I'll mention that the vast majority of worms that come with plants won't cause any problems in your tank. In fact, they often just end up as fish food.

So, if you're concerned that the worms will pose a danger to your tank in some way, I wouldn't worry.
Oh okay! I just saw quite a few reviews saying that the worms were harming their fish... Would it be enough if I just rinsed them in my sink really well (don't worry, it doesn't go into any natural waterways) and then quarantined them in a bucket with fertilizer for a few days?

Rylan

There are never any guarantees, but if you’re worried I would try one of the many dips that can be used. My favorite is Alum.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Shrimpnoob97
Replies
Views
chromedome52
Replies
Views
Shrumple
Replies
Views