How Big

1. gsp Initiate Member

I am new to fish world .i have 6 tigerbarbas i want to know how big they can become .i also want to know if i can feed them some homemade food or not

2. :) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

They grow to 2.5" on average I believe. What would the ingredients of the food be?

3. EJ_Fresh Well Known Member Member

4. gsp Initiate Member

I have a 12 g tank with tigerbarbs only .

5. EJ_Fresh Well Known Member Member

It's great that you have 6 of them because they do prefer to be in a group of at least 6. I would be a little concerned that they may not have enough space in a 12-gallon tank. From what I have read, 20-gallon is the minimum suggested tank size. Certain sites even recommend 30-gallons for a group of 6 Tiger Barbs. Would you ever consider upgrading to a larger tank?

6. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

Tiger barbs need a 20 gallon long minimum, preferably a lot more

What ingredients would you have in the homemade food?

In my homemade fish food I use peas, carrot, bell pepper, garlic, orange, algae wafers, frozen bloodworms, frozen daphnia, freeze dried tubifex, boiled egg, flakes and pellets

7. gsp Initiate Member

I will try to feed peas and carrot and see how they respond .

8. gsp Initiate Member

How to tell whether my fishes r males or females ?

9. gsp Initiate Member

Presently i have no plans to upgrade my tank

10. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Boil them first and de shell the peas before feeding

Females will be fatter and you can see where the eggs are

Well your fish need a bigger tank so I'd get a bigger tank or replace them with fish suitable to your tank size.

11. Enferno8 Member Member

The easiest way to sex tiger barbs is to wait until they are ~6 months or older. At that point you can tell the difference by the color on their nose with males having much more orange color than the females.