3. 30-100 gallons

13.0%
  4. 100 gallons or more

2.9%
  5. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. AnnaEA Member Member

My first tank is a ten gallon tank, since I am not counting all the fishbowls I had as a kid.

2. Marc Well Known Member Member

55! Started pretty big ;D

Don't worry, I'm getting my friend's dad interested in a tank, probably a large Malawi tank, something near 120 gallons :) That'd be a pretty big first tank!

3. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

My first tank was only 10 gallons. Now it's transformed into a breeder tank (currently have a batch of cuttest wigglers in the world in there! ;D )

4. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

I learned the hard way. My first tank was 3/4 gallon. My cousin give me the tank and the money for my first betta for my birthday. I didn't know any better at the time and he spent almost a month in the itty - bittly tank before I got him the 5 gallon. He was so happy he made a bubblenest the first day. Since then I have studied bettas and listened to people here at Fishlore and other experts all over the place and I wouldn't think of making that mistake again. :D

Rose
    :)

5. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I cannot believe how bettas survive in stores in literally only 2 cups of water (that's how small the bowls are in my cruel LFS). They must feel so restricted - no space, no fresh water, nowhere to swim, a real PRISON.

6. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

Its so SAAAADDDD!!! :'( :'( :'( At most stores they are in about 1 cup of water, in the little teeny tiny cups :(  and never cleaned.  It's like putting a large dog in a Pet Taxi thing whatever you call it :mad:  or a large macaw in a budgie cage...or a horse in a tiny stall, never cleaned out :mad: that's just animal cruelty! It's not fair how the ASPCA will confiscate horses, birds, dogs and cats, etc. being kept inhumanely but they don't do anything about fish :mad:

7. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Very true Emmma. Someone should make ASPCA realize about fish cruelty. Maybe if they started getting complaints from people they'd do something about it. I think there should be a law, just like in Rome, that forbids keeping fish in anything too small for their size. For example, forbidding keeping bettas in anything smaller than 5 or 10 gallons. I personally don't think I would have the courage to keep even tiny fish in anything smaller than 10G. If I couldn't get at least a 10G tank, then I wouldn't get any tank at all - rather than keeping fish in a prison.

8. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

i started with a 29gallon that i got from my grandpa who unfortuanatly died so i wished i had started with something else so he would still be alive

9. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

I am very sorry to hear your grandpa died. Yes, it's always sad. But such is life, we all die. All we can do is accept this reality. You sound as if you were thinking it was your fault that you grandpa died. Did you mean to say that if you didn't take the tank, he'd still be alive? If you think so, stop! It couldn't have possibly been your fault! It was simply his time to go - had nothing to do with the tank, believe me. He is now in a much better place, ATMmachine. Please, cheer up a bit.

10. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

no i didnt mean to say that just that i wish he was still alive as i can live without this tank

11. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Yes, that's true. We'd all give anything to bring back our loved ones :(

12. beckers4oranges Member Member

started out with a 10 gallon...got another one a couple weeks later...then i got a 1 gallon for a betta...then i got a free 50 gallon tank....then i bought a 5 gallon...and im getting another one within the next week or so...

13. gammerus Well Known Member Member

their lucky to get that, most bettas I find have less than 2 inches of water.

14. Jon Well Known Member Member

2 cups !!! WOW

at my lfs they are in these tiny dish things... they cannot move and it has about 1 cup of water... the reaches the top and bottom and they all look colorless and dying... so sad

15. wolfman21 Member Member

Had a little 5 gallon tank that a friend gave me and I've never looked back since

16. Neville Well Known Member Member

i've started 6 months ago with a 10 gallon tank.....really like this hobby.

17. gammerus Well Known Member Member

My first tank was a 1gal hex with 2 painted glass fish, a pleco, and a couple tetras.... I have learned a lot about fish keeping since.

18. COBettaCouple Fishlore Legend Member

we started out with a 10g kit.

19. Sabi Well Known Member Member

Thats so true! I cant understand why they dont survive by me. :'(
    My very first was a 10gal which i kept goldfish in...

20. BrianCB Member Member

The tank wasnt mine actually it was a birthday present for my younger brother, it was sad cause my dad didnt know he had to put a chemical in the tank so all the fish slowly died. It was 20G with some goldfish and a pleco we did know something was wrong with the water until we saw all the fish slowly dying and so the next day we got some dechlorinator and some new fish and those fish lasted for years but we never cycled the tank.