• 5 gallons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6-10 gallons

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • 10+ gallons

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
Kymopoleia
I have a 5g tank with no heater and a carbon filter. The water currently is pretty stable at about room temperature. I also have an adf as a tankmate. I'm assuming this could be problematic, but I have no breeding experience.
Any other guppy breeding advice would be great.
Thanks!

Advertisement
Daniodude
If you want to breed them I would get some live plants, and give them lots of cover.

Advertisement
redmare
I kept 5 male guppies in a 5.5 gallon when that was all I could keep in my dorm room. They did okay, but they were so active I really wish I had them in a 10 or more. They used every inch of the tank! They didn't live as long as they should have either, but that may have had other factors as well including moving them home from uni.

Kymopoleia
Thank you so much!
We have a male right now, but we were looking to buy a female. The aquabid fish were pretty expensive, and the less expensive ones came in pairs.
Do you recommend any other sites?

redmare
Thank you so much!
We have a male right now, but we were looking to buy a female. The aquabid fish were pretty expensive, and the less expensive ones came in pairs.
Where are you from? There's lots in the states (that I can't use because Canada) to choose from. If by chance you are in Canada, I ordered from shrimp fever (they do have fish) and they were great, and I've heard a lot of good about angelfins

AquaCaitlin
Thank you so much!
Are you looking for a particular breed? (Also you will need 3 females. If you just get 1 or 2 the male will stress them, chasing them constantly)

Advertisement

Kymopoleia
, thank you so much! I'll look into buying more, and can I buy from angelfins or shrimp fever from the US?

redmare
I'm not sure, look into it!

Gone
If you just have one 5G tank, you won't get very far breeding guppies.

Assume you'll be successful in breeding a trio. Two females will drop fry, 30 to 50 each most likely. In a month you'll have up to 100 fish in your 5G, and that's just the first batch. What will you do?

If you want to colony breed, where you just have guppies swimming around randomly breeding, you'll need a much bigger tank, and overcrowding will control the population. If you want to selectively breed with control, you'll need two tanks per drop of fry so you can separate the sexes at about a month old, then you can select the breeders you want. Then you'll need another two tanks if you want one drop of fry from the offspring. If you think it through even three months, you'll understand why many guppy breeders have a hundred, or hundreds of tanks in their fish rooms.

I use 5G's in my fish room for breeding setups. After they drop fry, I move them into 10G's when I separate the sexes and grow them out. I have 20G's to grow out the culls that end up sold to the LFS.

It's most common to breed a pair or a trio. Just make sure you don't have more males than females. Females are bigger than males so they'll do fine one on one. When there are more males than females, they'll gang up on the females and that will stress them out. Don't be concerned that the males are constantly chasing the females. That's their natural state and indicates healthy guppies.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BlackMolly99
  • Question
Replies
Views
Chloemarie
Replies
Views
DaniosForever
  • Question