How Big Of A Tank?

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Alright people, I know this question has been asked thousands of times. Short of bringing in a structural engineer I know it's hard to determine, so that is why I am turning to you all for your firsthand experience.

I currently have a 90 gallon tank on my second floor. My house was built in 1911. Never had any issues and I have the tank up against a load bearing outside wall running perpendicular to the floor joists.

That said, does anyone have experience with a 120 or 150 gallon on a first floor? I recently remodeled my kitchen and dining room and have the perfect spot for one and have been wanting to upgrade. Unfortunately, the space I would like to but the tank is on an inside wall and the floor joists run parallel which worries me a bit.

Anyone have experience with this? I am thinking of reinforcing the joists with a few cross beams and adding a few lally columns in the basement. Please share! Looking for any all all input I can get. Thank you!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 150 on 1st floor but it is in the corner right next to the foundation

outlaw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would add support. That much weight isn't worth the risk.

I'm planning a 75 and am going to add support in the basement. The tank will be along a foundation wall but run parallel to the joists. Floor is already a little bouncy and only has a 20 gallon now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom