How Big Of A Tank Do You Need To Have To Baby Female Bettas

Discussion in 'Betta Breeding' started by adicted to fish, Jan 19, 2019.

1. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

hey my sister would like to get to baby girls and I am wondering how big of a tank they would need

2. Zigi Zig Well Known Member Member

Hello
    For just a betta the tank should be a minimum of 3-5 gallons per fish..You will also need aquarium filter that should be able to process all of the water in the tank three to five times an hour. Bettas are tropical fish and need to swim in warm water between 74 and 82 degrees Fahrenheit aquarium heater with 5 watts of power for each gallon of water in the aquarium. A large aquarium may need a heater at either end.

3. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

sorry about the miss speelling

ok I will have to tell her though she probaly will say I had a betta fish for a year and it did not have a heater or a filter and it was not a gallon tank even

well she keeps her house at 75 degrees and she will not listen to me she just is going to argue with me

4. WinterSoldier. Well Known Member Member

Tell her that putting a betta in less than a gallon is cruel and if she wants a fish she should be prepared to take care of one

5. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

she says she does not care and she keeps saying there this big they are babies

and she also says she is not wasting her money on a big tank and a heater

6. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

If you're doing more than 1 female betta in the tank i would say that tank needs heavy planting and at least 20g so they can hide if need be. I know people do soroitys but they can be tricky and fights can,break out especially if you only have two that can concentrate just on each other.

7. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

are you getting confused

females don't fight each other and they are babies is what she says

do you want her to get three

8. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

Omg yes they do lol @Platylover

9. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

they do?

10. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

If she doesnt know how fish react i don't want her to get any lol

11. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

and they are babies

I can not stop her or else she will throw stuff at me wich is weird

12. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

Not to be rude but how old is she?

13. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

I have the fish best interest at heart not hers. I just really think you need yo do more research before you do something as tricky as a betta sorority.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2019
  14. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

she had one for a year when she was 8 and it lived for a year

15. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

They do fight eachother... when they are fry they likely will not but as they grow and mature they may. Females can be just as aggressive as males, in fact all my females have been more aggressive than the males and were happy to kill just about anything put with them.
    She’d need at least 7 in a heavily planted 20 long.
    Babies become adults.
    Sounds like you need to get your guardians involved then if she’s being abusive.

Why doesn’t she make an account and talk to us rather than hiding behind a sibling?

16. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

The image is broken.

17. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Well kept bettas should live for 2-4 years, one year is relatively short considering their lifespan.

18. adicted to fish Valued Member Member

she did not raise it from a baby

well she says she is going to watch them and will separate them in case

19. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Not certain how this is relavent to the thread? If your speaking of the betta she had when she was 8, then they are typically sold are 3 months, which means it was likely still pretty young when it passed.

Edit:
    Glad she’ll keep an eye on them at least.

20. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Okay, from a betta breeder, yes they do. Quite frankly, it sounds like your sibling doesn't want a pet, just a decoration. Get a fake fish if she just wants to kill one. And the fact that she had one for a year? They're supposed to live for 4-7. She's not ready to get a fish, plain and simple. If she really wants to, she needs to do some actual research. Again, I breed bettas, I can give you a ton of accurate information, but it sounds like she doesn't want that at all.
    Also, female bettad require more space than male bettas because their fins are not deformed and they are capable of swimming more frequently with more precision. And they will rip open a other female betta. It gets real ugly real quick.
    Sorry to be harsh, but it sounds like your sibling doesn't want an actual answer, this isn't at you. Sorry you have an abusive sibling, that's not fair to you. Definitely tell your parents, that shouldn't be happening at all.

21. CaptAnnDuchow Well Known Member Member

Ok this is too he said she said if your sister doesn't want actual advice why even post? You have useful information and i hope you presuade at least your parents to read this maybe they can talk some sence into your sister. Good luck and i will pray for your fish.

22. Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Can she articulate why? Is it because I told her information that she doesn't want to be true?
    Quite frankly, she seems to be abusive and violent, and those people often take out their anger on their pet, and I don't think she should have one. I'm honestly not trying to be mean, but the behavior concerns me for your safety more so than a fish. If this conversation is making her mad and makes her mad at you, please let us know and it would be best to discontinue the discussion.
    Long story short:
    Female betta care-
    1 in a 5 gallon
    Heated between 77-82 (50w heater)
    No ammonia, nitrite, less than 20 nitrate (she will need a test kit).
    Filter, because it cannot cycle without one.
    More than one female betta:
    20 long minimum (30" wide)
    Heated between 77-82 (150-200w heater)
    Filter
    Test kit
    Many many decorations to break the line of sight. If one can esacpe the line of sight of an aggressive one, it just may live.