How Big Of A Sump Do I Need?! (65 Gal)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by clemtine pace, Apr 21, 2017.

1. clemtine paceValued MemberMember

So im super clueless about sumps currently, i have a 65 gallon tank.
    Im just looking through this page to get an idea.

I have no clue what size i need, i also plan to get a protein skimmer in sump. Do i need to get a bigger one because of that?
    Ive heard of people drilling holes in their tank to do this?! i don't have to drill holes in my tank for a sump do i?

2. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

I would get the biggest size sump you can fit my sump is 50g on a 110g display.

You dont hqve to drill your tank you can get overflow boxes but thats some i have no experience with.

3. SecretiveFishWell Known MemberMember

I would look at protein skimmers sized appropriately for your system and planned stocking level. We are using Skimz and Vertex (been happy with the 170, not so much with the 130) in sump skimmers, but Reef Octopus is another good brand.

You do not have to drill your tank to do a sump! As mentioned, there are external overflow boxes that work. We currently have two of these running (one tank has had this for 5 years). If you decide to get this one, make sure you have a spare aqualifter on hand!!! They love to go out in the middle of the night....

Another option is this one. We have one, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

When you pick the return pump, aim for a GPH that is close to the rate of the overflow box.

4. NartWell Known MemberMember

Generally people say at least half your display tank size is effective, but if you can get a bigger or matching size to your display, the better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice