How big of a pond should I plan on digging?

popcornweasel

I have 3 goldfish that were in a small (roughly 70 gallons) pond at my old house, but I recently moved, and it's winter, so they're currently being held in a 40 breeder tank with a filter rated for 60 gallons. One is a comet, and the other two are fantails, all about 4" long. The weather should be warm enough to start working on the yard in ~2 months, and I'm working on a plan for the landscaping, specifically the pond, but I don't know how big I need to be thinking.

I already have permission from the property owners, my grandparents to do whatever I want with the landscaping, including putting in a pond (I asked specifically), and I want to make it look really nice. I don't want to sound cheap, but I'm a college student on a budget, so I don't have a whole lot to spare.

My grandpa has a portable water storage tank (similar to this) that he's willing to give me to convert into a semi-above ground pond, but I didn't know if it would be big enough. They're usually 250-350 gallons, but I don't know the exact dimensions of the specific one he has. Is this big enough or should I keep looking for other ideas? I was thinking of building a bench wrapping around the above-ground portion or building up a rock feature around it.

If that idea won't work, how big do I need to be thinking? I don't plan on getting any more goldfish, but I do intend to have plants in and around the pond. Any ideas or resources would be greatly appreciated!

saltwater60

I have 3 goldfish that were in a small (roughly 70 gallons) pond at my old house, but I recently moved, and it's winter, so they're currently being held in a 40 breeder tank with a filter rated for 60 gallons. One is a comet, and the other two are fantails, all about 4" long. The weather should be warm enough to start working on the yard in ~2 months, and I'm working on a plan for the landscaping, specifically the pond, but I don't know how big I need to be thinking.

I already have permission from the property owners, my grandparents to do whatever I want with the landscaping, including putting in a pond (I asked specifically), and I want to make it look really nice. I don't want to sound cheap, but I'm a college student on a budget, so I don't have a whole lot to spare.

My grandpa has a portable water storage tank (similar to this) that he's willing to give me to convert into a semi-above ground pond, but I didn't know if it would be big enough. They're usually 250-350 gallons, but I don't know the exact dimensions of the specific one he has. Is this big enough or should I keep looking for other ideas? I was thinking of building a bench wrapping around the above-ground portion or building up a rock feature around it.

If that idea won't work, how big do I need to be thinking? I don't plan on getting any more goldfish, but I do intend to have plants in and around the pond. Any ideas or resources would be greatly appreciated!
If you just want to keep those 3 goldfish you should be fine with about 300 gallons. The bench idea sounds cool.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ChewiesGrandma
  • BlackOsprey
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
saltwater60
  • Question
  • Celestialpearl
  • Ponds