how big does a peacock cichlid get? Question

1. jdmLuzon Member Member

hoq big does a peacock cichlid get and can you put it in a community tank?

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

It really depends on the species of peacock it is! If you don't know what species it is, the Average size is usually about 5 inches as an adult.

In no way should any African Cichlids be kept with anything besides other African Cichlids and maybe some types of catfish. They are fairly aggressive and extremely territorial! I've heard of some Kribs and Yellow Labs being kept in community tanks, but it usually doesn't end well in the long run!

3. jdmLuzon Member Member

this kind

Attached Files:

4. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

That looks like an OB Peacock African Cichlid, looks like a male too from the spots on his anal fin. Would be too territorial and aggressive in any community tank. I have 6 or so peacock cichlids in my African tank and they definitely like their own space.
    :;hi1

Hope this helps, also looking at your 65g tank you have a pair of GBR in there, remember they are New World Cichlids and are completely different than African Cichlids.

5. jdmLuzon Member Member

thank you.....what is new world cichlid?

6. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Means they are from South/Central America, the "new world" vs Africa and Asia. The water parameters are different as is the general care of them.

7. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    :;perfect