How big does a molly need to be to breed?

babygirl303

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm looking at buying a molly online, shes only 2-4cm long at the moment, what size does she need to grow to before i can breed her, and will she be damaged if i put an adult male in with her? I do have another female, shes fully grown, i brought her a few weeks ago.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So you have an adult male, an adult female, and now you are thinking about buying this new female? Okay, I actually like to get 3 females to every male based on my own personal judgement. Maybe it's just my males, they are always all over my females, I've got 6 females and 2 males. All six are pregnant right now, but the males don't care, they still try.

Anyway, sizes can vary. I've seen mollies that are so huge I just gasped at them, then I've seen mollies so small I was surprised the other fish hadn't eaten them yet. And, I've seen both of them get pregnant before. I'm pretty sure there is a way to tell, but to be honest, if you get one that is too young, she will grow into it eventually...so it doesn't really matter, not worth the trouble of finding out. It's like with angelfish; you have to buy enough for them to mature together, then break off into pairs. Mollies obviously don't do that, but what I meant by that is sometimes you just have to wait.
You will learn soon enough...Especially if your male is as aggressive as mine.

Last edited:

babygirl303

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha, no i havn't got the male yet, as i didn't want him to chase my only female to death.
I'm definatly going to make sure to get the 2nd female before i make any attempt at adding a male to the mix.
I've heard of male livebearers being really agressive with the mating, but i have 3 female platy to my 1 male, and he hardly seems interested in any of them!!! He's more worried about chasing the poor female swordtails away from anything and everything.

Yeah, i think i might see how a male does with just 2, and get a third female a few days later if he gets over the top.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Lol, it's so funny you should say that about the platy. I have 6 Red Wag Platies, 2 males, 4 females, and the males are soooo not aggressive.
Mollies most definitely are though...

babygirl303

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ahh... good to know, thanks for that. I think i will get another 2 females before i add the male then. My dalmation sailfin molly (Speckles) is so cool, i'd hate for anything to happen to her, especially if it were by my own hand, so to speak.

babygirl303

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
ok i brought the gold female molly, and a white sailfin female, to go in with my other female, and i got a black sailfin male.

They all look pretty happy, thanks for the advice ben

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Congrats on the new additions. We love photos!hoto:
Best wishes!
Ken

babygirl303

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Aww thanks!!! They all swim so fast! I'll sit down one day and try get some nice pics of them all and upload them when i can.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not a problem, here to help.
Whenever you can, we all really do appreciate pics. If you find it difficult,(what with them being too active) you could make a video even.

How are things going so far?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom