How big do they get?

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI all!

How big do clown loaches get?
I heard it takes a long time for them to grow....?

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
About 5 inches in the first year and then much slower to a final size of around 12+ inches. I would not recommend them for your tanks; however, zebra or yoyo loaches are very good options and much smaller, get 3 or 4 of them.

I write slowly someone always beats me

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not only do they reach 12+ inches in length, but also in girth. That's where the real size is - in the bulk of the fish.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

crazedACD

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
They get big! This is Marge...not my fish, but getting kind of famous on fish forums! Maidenhead Aquatics in the UK own her.
88.jpg

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You have 3 clown loaches in a 46 gallon tank? With all those other fish?

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to FishLore fishluver
Good information offered above.
Speaking from personal experience Clown Loaches are wonderful intelligent fish. They live a very long time and get very large. They need to be in groups as they are social fish and yes they do quite a bit of socializing with their best buds in the clown loach group as well as their humans. Long tanks are best as they like to make mad dashes down and around the tank.
I would recommend 75 gallon minimum for three juveniles and then a larger tank on down the road.
We really like pictures around here so pics of your tank when you can would be appreciated
Carol

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Butterfly said:
Welcome to FishLore fishluver
Good information offered above.
Speaking from personal experience Clown Loaches are wonderful intelligent fish. They live a very long time and get very large. They need to be in groups as they are social fish and yes they do quite a bit of socializing with their best buds in the clown loach group as well as their humans. Long tanks are best as they like to make mad dashes down and around the tank.
I would recommend 75 gallon minimum for three juveniles and then a larger tank on down the road.
We really like pictures around here so pics of your tank when you can would be appreciated
Carol
I have some pics posted on my profile if you'd like to take a look. There is a nice one of my loach with my frog lol

I probably should have done my research on the loaches before buying them, but I heard they like the snails that's why I got them. I would of got one, but I know they like to be social so I got 3! lol

I do love my fish, so down the road when they get larger I can deal with it.

Attachments

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Meenu said:
You have 3 clown loaches in a 46 gallon tank? With all those other fish?
They are small right now, so I guess I'll deal with it when they get larger! I had no clue they get so large.

That is why I love this forum! I will always ask here first before doing anything with my tank!

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the picture I really like loaches of all kinds but Clowns always steal my heart
carol

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think I read somewhere that within a year, they get 6 inches. I am not sure about this though.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
I think I read somewhere that within a year, they get 6 inches. I am not sure about this though.
With sufficient space, temp, food and water changes they grow very fast the first year them slow down to about 1/2 to 1 inch a year.
The first clowns I had went from 1 1/2 inches to 7 and 8 inches the first year.
carol

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow! I will definitely need a new tank when they get larger!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads