How Big Do Jack Dempsey Males Get?

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Hey! I have a male JD and he is gorgeous! Growing very fast! About 7 inches now. I'm just wondering how big males usually get and if anyone has pictures of their big males. Also my Jack seems to be getting a nice set of chompers!! I don't see teeth like this on any of my other fish lol.. little ones on my Oscar but that's about it. I bet it would hurt if he ever took a bite at me lol! Anyone else notice teeth on their cichlids? I know they all have them but to actually see them. Thanks everyone!
20190405_165542.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
schmalzy_x0 said:
Hey! I have a male JD and he is gorgeous! Growing very fast! About 6-7 inches now. I'm just wondering how big males usually get and if anyone has pictures of their big males. Also my Jack seems to be getting a nice set of chompers!! I don't see teeth like this on any of my other fish lol.. little ones on my Oscar but that's about it. I bet it would hurt if he ever took a bite at me lol! Anyone else notice teeth on their cichlids? I know they all have them but to actually see them. Thanks everyone!
20190405_165542.jpg
EBJD gets about 8" long. I have Africans, too little to see teeth from outside the tank!

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Momgoose56 said:
EBJD gets about 8" long. I have Africans, too little to see teeth from outside the tank!
He is a normal Jack Dempsey, not a Electric blue. Do you know how big they get? 10"? 12"? He has grown from 2" to 7" in 5 months lol.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can get to about 12” but that’s exceptional. 10” is about the normal maximum.

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Coptapia said:
They can get to about 12”.
That's so awesome!! He has grown so much already..can't wait until he is that big! How long does it take them to get full grown? Year? Two years?

Dawn Michele

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rocky is 10 inches. He has nice teeth!!! LOL!! Big Boy has his in the back!!! I noticed you have a flower pot in your tank. Does he like it? I was thinking about putting one in Rocky's tank.

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
schmalzy_x0 said:
That's so awesome!! He has grown so much already..can't wait until he is that big! How long does it take them to get full grown? Year? Two years?
Depends what you mean by “full grown”. Maximum size, and growth rate, depend on a lot of things... genetics, food, water changes, tank size...

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Dawn Michele said:
Rocky is 10 inches. He has nice teeth!!! LOL!! Big Boy has his in the back!!! I noticed you have a flower pot in your tank. Does he like it? I was thinking about putting one in Rocky's tank.
Yes Jack loves his flower pot!!! He is always hanging out in there and he loves the cave I made from driftwood as well.

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
Coptapia said:
Depends what you mean by “full grown”. Maximum size, and growth rate, depend on a lot of things... genetics, food, water changes, tank size...
Ok sounds good! I heard that they grow really fast and then slow down a bit? He has grown from 2" to 7" in 5 months. He loves food! I feed them the xtreme cichlid pellet, blood worms, meal worms, shrimp, he also lovvesss algae wafers as well (stole them from my pleco all the time lol). He is in a 125 gallon. I will just have to wait and see how big he gets! Thanks!

Dawn Michele said:
Here's Rocky
He is soo handsome!! Can't wait until mine gets that big!

OP
schmalzy_x0

schmalzy_x0

Reaction score
My Jack!! 7 inches! Getting bigger and more handsome everyday!

New Threads