How Big Do Jack Dempsey Males Get?

Discussion in 'Jack Dempsey' started by schmalzy_x0, Apr 6, 2019.

1. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

Hey! I have a male JD and he is gorgeous! Growing very fast! About 7 inches now. I'm just wondering how big males usually get and if anyone has pictures of their big males. Also my Jack seems to be getting a nice set of chompers!! I don't see teeth like this on any of my other fish lol.. little ones on my Oscar but that's about it. I bet it would hurt if he ever took a bite at me lol! Anyone else notice teeth on their cichlids? I know they all have them but to actually see them. Thanks everyone! 20190405_165542.jpg

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

EBJD gets about 8" long. I have Africans, too little to see teeth from outside the tank!

3. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

He is a normal Jack Dempsey, not a Electric blue. Do you know how big they get? 10"? 12"? He has grown from 2" to 7" in 5 months lol.

4. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

They can get to about 12” but that’s exceptional. 10” is about the normal maximum.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  5. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

That's so awesome!! He has grown so much already..can't wait until he is that big! How long does it take them to get full grown? Year? Two years?

6. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Rocky is 10 inches. He has nice teeth!!! LOL!! Big Boy has his in the back!!! I noticed you have a flower pot in your tank. Does he like it? I was thinking about putting one in Rocky's tank.

7. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

Depends what you mean by “full grown”. Maximum size, and growth rate, depend on a lot of things... genetics, food, water changes, tank size...

8. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

Yes Jack loves his flower pot!!! He is always hanging out in there and he loves the cave I made from driftwood as well.

9. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Here's Rocky
    DSC04596.JPG

10. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

Ok sounds good! I heard that they grow really fast and then slow down a bit? He has grown from 2" to 7" in 5 months. He loves food! I feed them the xtreme cichlid pellet, blood worms, meal worms, shrimp, he also lovvesss algae wafers as well (stole them from my pleco all the time lol). He is in a 125 gallon. I will just have to wait and see how big he gets! Thanks!

He is soo handsome!! Can't wait until mine gets that big!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2019
  11. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

My Jack!! 7 inches! Getting bigger and more handsome everyday! :)

12. Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

He's GORGEOUS!!! His color is AMAZING!!!

13. schmalzy_x0Valued MemberMember

Thank you!!!! :)