How Big Do Cherry Shrimp Really Get?

Hnaef
I'm considering whether to get some when I finally get my tank up and running. The internet suggests they grow up to 4cm (1.5 in) in length... I just saw some at the LFS and they're only around 1cm (<.5in). Were these immature shrimp, or do they only reach 4cm under exceptional circumstances?

Plecodreams
They do reach 4 cm(1.6 inches) full grown

itsEmma
Hi,
My biggest Cherries (the females) have never been bigger than around a cm long with the males a bit smaller.
Amanos, Bamboo and Ghost shrimps shrimps all get bigger, but, in my experience of keeping Cherry Shrimp for a couple of years through several generations to produce a little colony, they've always stayed small.
Hope this helps!

Mcasella
I have had a couple that were sent to me that were nearly 1.5 inches, most stay 1 inch in size though.

itsEmma
Wow!
I'd love to see some pics of these shrimps-do you have any?

Mcasella
Wow!
All the ones that were that massive were at the end of their life, they lived another two months under my care before passing. Massive shrimp don't handle shipping well and most often die in new parameters, just like berried females will molt and drop their eggs in new water most often.

Thunder_o_b
Wow!

These are 1" long.

_MG_5022-Edit copy.0.jpg

_MG_5031-Edit copy.jpg

_MG_5032-Edit copy.jpg

_MG_5036-Edit copy.0.jpg

richiep
Best I can do is 1 1/4 on crystal red but but he's old and that's pushing it generally 3/4 of an inch is about it but they are very fat. I do have a sakura red who wears hob nail boots I'll try a find him and see if I can measure him again though they are the same as my crystal

itsEmma
I love Pic 3!! Looks like a Super Hard Shrimp (don't mess with me....!)
Seriously though, is it down to genetics, do you think, or food? I'm wondering now why mine never get that big...
I wonder if it's like goldfish, restricted by the tank size?
Interesting, still, for now I love my (little) shrimp just how they are ☺

Thunder_o_b
I love Pic 3!! Looks like a Super Hard Shrimp (don't mess with me....!)
Seriously though, is it down to genetics, do you think, or food? I'm wondering now why mine never get that big...
I wonder if it's like goldfish, restricted by the tank size?
Interesting, still, for now I love my (little) shrimp just how they are ☺
I would say both. But shrimp are not really my area. They are in a 10 gallon.

richiep
This is what happened to one of my shrimp when I put him on steroids

Attachments

• 20180908_150258.jpg
    20180908_150258.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 119
Thunder_o_b
This is what happened to one of my shrimp when I put him on steroids
LOVE IT

itsEmma
☺☺☺
Is that an ornament?!

richiep
No he's very real

itsEmma
Is it really real? I honestly thought it was a garden ornament!
What is it?

richiep
No its real its an Australian Red Claw Crayfish I had two males and went to a new home thursday as I was having female friday but courier messed up so not coming till Tuesday. This next photo is the male that went his anvil is very red showing maturity. The one I kept is only half it's growing size

Attachments

• 20180810_224732_018.jpg
    20180810_224732_018.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 89
itsEmma
Wow, he's brilliant, but in a small one bedroom flat, I think I'll stick to my (tiny') Cherry Shrimp!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
waterbox
Replies
Views
stang7606
Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views