How big do BN fry need to be to mix with mature BN?

MartintheBNpleco

Hi all,

My pair of BN plecos have laid a few clutches of eggs and this is the first lot to really succeed (the dad wasn't particularly sure what to do the first few times). After they hatched and dad began to let them out of the cave I moved the fry (about 20 of them) to a frysaver/breeding box to save them from my 4 mature BN's as well as the other fish.

My question is how big the fry have to be to be able to mix back in safely with the mature BN's and the other fish? I am planning on selling them but not until slightly bigger and they are certainly outgrowing the breeding box but I know that BN's can be territorial and any very young fry that previously got left in the main tank has not survived despite many hiding places.

It's a 300 litre planted tank and the fry are currently about 1.5cm long. I have tried to grow them out in a separate tank but this resulted in quite a few deaths despite water testing inside parameters, aeration and daily 10% changes. I am reluctant to move them back into that tank as I am not sure what was causing the deaths :( and since moving them back into main tank no others have died.

Thanks in advance :)

Nessaf

The fry aren’t bothered by the other plecos, they just need to be large enough that the other fish can’t eat them.

Upvote 0

MartintheBNpleco

The fry aren’t bothered by the other plecos, they just need to be large enough that the other fish can’t eat them.
Ok. I will probably let them grow a bit more before I let them out then. Any ideas on what might've caused the fry to die in the other tank as I would like to solve the problem to be able to grow them out in it if possible? Thanks

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Ok. I will probably let them grow a bit more before I let them out then. Any ideas on what might've caused the fry to die in the other tank as I would like to solve the problem to be able to grow them out in it if possible? Thanks
The other fish and/or maybe lack of food come to mind. The fry usually go after algae and bio-film as they can actually eat it when they are quite small, so they just may have lost the food competition battle if there are adults eating that as well.

Upvote 0

MartintheBNpleco

The other fish and/or maybe lack of food come to mind. The fry usually go after algae and bio-film as they can actually eat it when they are quite small, so they just may have lost the food competition battle if there are adults eating that as well.
Perhaps. The fry were generally happy eating parboiled zucchini and split green beans and it was just them in the tank so competition wouldn't have been an issue. I did notice that it was generally the smaller ones that were dying so perhaps there wasn't enough established algae for the smaller fry to eat. I may try them in it again when they are a bit bigger and hardier and see how that goes!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha
  • Question
  • sampittman1992
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
HupGuppHup