Status
Not open for further replies.

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi everyone,

I was just trying to explain to my brother how big my angelfish was going to get. Then I pulled out the measuring tape and realized 6 inches is huge - if that's not including the fins, and body only.

So when people say Angels can reach 6- 12 inches, is that fins included, or just the height of the body. My largest angel is only 2.5 inches, body only.

Thanks!

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At my LFS they have small Angels whose bodies are probably about 1.5-2 inches, but in a larger tank they have some whose bodies are probably more around 5-6 inches with fins extending out rather far.

I've never had Angels so I'm not for sure the exact measurements on them, but I would think they might just be talking about the bodies from what I have seen.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it depends on the type of angel example is veil tails..they get huge with finnage....
but ive seen half blacks, and koi's 6 inches just body size without finnage...

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can get quite large. Most don't due to tank size, water quality issues, genetics, etc. My angels are 5 years old, their body size is about 3.5" round and they are quite thick. Their overall height is close to 8.5" and their length is approx. 6". They are not veil form angels, they do have very good genetics and I did 25% daily water changes their first year (there were 18 angels in the 55G tank). Hope this helps.

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Wow, that's great. I guess mine have a long way to go yet!
Do you know how long it takes for them to reach full size?
Is a 25G tall, (20 inches) big enough for a larger Angelfish? I know I would love to get another, larger tank, but would like to wait until I am not in a little apartment.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, that's great. I guess mine have a long way to go yet!
Do you know how long it takes for them to reach full size?
Is a 25G tall, (20 inches) big enough for a larger Angelfish? I know I would love to get another, larger tank, but would like to wait until I am not in a little apartment.
full size for angels is 8-14 months .give or take...25g tall should be fine for him/her...

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks, everyone.

Idbrown, I replied just after you, before I read your response. My largest Angel, a marble, I think had his growth stunted because when I got him, his fins were bent, and one later broke off (I got him because his personality was awesome!). My other one is a black/silver veil tail, but his top fin is bent back slightly.

MD Angels

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, I will likely have to get another tank soon, since Dante (veil tail) does not get along with Miguel (marble) anymore. He is currently in time-out in the 10G quarantine. I had to separate them once before and after 2 weeks apart they seemed to forget what they were fighting about! A few months later and they are separated again. Would the 25 G tall be ok for just one angelfish?

I would love to get another, bigger tank - I will have to break the good news to my boyfriend (who is trying to cap my aquariums at 3) I don't want to get rid of Dante, so I will just have to accomedate him!

Thanks everyone

ldbrown3138

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like a 29G or 38G tank as a minimum for angels in a community tank setting. Those are both tall tanks. I keep angels pairs in bare bottom 20H tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom