How big before selling MTS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodylane1122

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi all, I have about 30-50 MTS that are around 1/8" big. I do have some people interested in them locally. Is 1/8" big enough to sell them? Just making sure they will survive transfer just fine.

Also, I do plan to offer to sell them on here as well, but I was going to wait till I had some at least 1/4" big. Is that big enough to ship them safely?

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all, I have about 30-50 MTS that are around 1/8" big. I do have some people interested in them locally. Is 1/8" big enough to sell them? Just making sure they will survive transfer just fine.

Also, I do plan to offer to sell them on here as well, but I was going to wait till I had some at least 1/4" big. Is that big enough to ship them safely?
I have sent many shipments of MTS snails that were about the size of a small grain of rice - smaller than your sizes and they survived just fine.
I believe they will survive almost anywhere given enough water ( I put about 1/4 cup of water on a paper towel and sealed in a plastic baggie )

Good luck. . These guys are hardy... I would never dream of shipping them like that if they were Mystery or Nerites though................

Melissac584

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have some MTS snails on the way - my first snails ever. I'm cycling a 50 now (FS) and have an established 10 (FS) community. Can i put the snails in my 50? if not, how long before i can? Also, what exactly do they do...eat algae? What else should I feed them (as I don't have excessive algae). And is it ok to have a handful in there......how long before I'm overwhelmed with snail babies? Many thanks for your advice!

P.s. I don't want to be overpopulated with them, should I just keep one in each tank? Will they chew up any of my plants of have a problem with my other fish? If I end up keeping together how fast will they populate and what can i do with all the extra???????

Last edited:

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Your mts will eat just about anything you give them, including the diatoms and waste in your tank. Personally, I don't feed them anything - in my Betta tank they eat just the diatoms and waste, in my main tank, I feed the other snails I have in there so they may get some algae tablets and anything else that falls to the substrate.

Give it a few months and I am sure you will see your population grow - especially if you feed them.

Also, I sent some MTS to a fellow fl member and they were really super tiny ( tinier than a rice grain ) and ALL of them died by the time they reached her!!! This was a first since I had sent 2 other shipments that same week and they fared out okay. So, they are NOT as hearty as I would have thought - maybe because of their size and being just recently born????? or the 20-30 degree weather????

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I don't feed mine anything. And there's a zillion in there. (I breed them to feed my assassins.) If you just put one in, supposedly they'll make more, but when I just had one it never did anything, so who knows My tank has gone through mini-cycles (from switching filters around) and they're all still fine. If you put them in one tank and plan to move them to another, keep in mind you'll NEVER find them all If you don't overfeed, then they won't overpopulate. I don't feed mine and I usually can only see a dozen or so on the surface (plenty more hiding, though).

Melissac584

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don't feed mine anything. And there's a zillion in there. (I breed them to feed my assassins.) If you just put one in, supposedly they'll make more, but when I just had one it never did anything, so who knows My tank has gone through mini-cycles (from switching filters around) and they're all still fine. If you put them in one tank and plan to move them to another, keep in mind you'll NEVER find them all If you don't overfeed, then they won't overpopulate. I don't feed mine and I usually can only see a dozen or so on the surface (plenty more hiding, though).
Thanks! So overall, are they worth having or are they more trouble than they are worth?

monkeypie102

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have a sand bed or live plants MTS are a must IMO! Mine will eat the dieing parts of the plants but the Ave the live part alone :) I also breed for assassin snails but i am quite partial to them ("pest" snails) anyways! Cute little buggers!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I definitely agree If you don't have MTS to stir the sand (since they dig through it), and you don't stir it yourself, then ammonia pockets can form, and if you disturb them, it belches a bunch of ammonia into your tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Weekly

Votes: 42 64.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 12 18.5%

Top Bottom