How Big A Group Do Amano Shrimp Need To Be Kept In? Question

1. DHIWZ Member Member

Currently I am housing 4 Amano Shrimp with 3 Horned Nerite Snails in a 10 gallon tank to act as a cleanup crew. So far all creatures seem to be doing well as far as I can tell (with my limited understanding of aquariums), as they are actively moving about the tank and foraging. However I am wondering if I need to get 1-2 more since Amano Shrimp are social creatures (didn't know this when I bought them). Ultimately I plan to stock a colony of RCS and some nano fish but I anticipate there being room in the bioload to house at least 1 or 2 more Amanos if necessary.

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

You're fine to add more. Shrimp have such a small bio foot print that you can have alot in a small tank. I would get 3-4 more Amanos, since the existing group could shun the new shrimp.

3. scarface Well Known Member Member

I've never heard that before.

4. goplecos Well Known Member Member

It's not common but it happened to me and my friend. Larger shrimp like Amanos seem to be the only ones that do this though.

5. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I've kept my crew of amanos for about a year and a half now and I have never heard of or seen any such thing as them "shunning" a new addition, or even caring about one another's presence unless the one has food and the other wants some of it. Occasionally they climb over each other while foraging and it seems awkward, and then they carry on their separate paths. They don't hang out together or anything.

However, they are fun to watch and there's plenty of room for more, so I say up the crew.

6. DHIWZ Member Member

Thanks! My Amanos actually do act social, the smaller three will sleep together in the same corner of the tank and forage together while the largest one (at least 2 inches long) swims all over the tank and does what he pleases. The expert at the LFS said with my stocking plan he wouldn't recommend any more than 5 in a 10 gallon, so I'll see if I can get another the next time I stop by. Obviously the more the merrier when it comes to members of my beloved cleanup crew :)

A follow up question for you--what concentration of Nitrates would you say is harmful to Amanos and warrants a water change?

7. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Shrimp are very sensitive to nitrates. Anything 1.0 ppm or above. They are happiest at zero of course. Same with ammonia and nitrites.

8. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

I try to keep mine below 20, which the plants pretty much do for me now since the bioload is super low. Some people would tell you it needs to be below 10. 1.0 doesn't even read on most tests so that's extreme lol. The truth is they won't die if your nitrate sneaks up past the "happy zone" of ~20, just don't let it be above 40 for any length of time, the same as any other fish. Amanos are pretty hardy shrimp, I've had mine since I was really bad at keeping fish and these same five shrimp have outlived all the other species of shrimp I had. They're pretty easy keepers. Just make sure to keep them well fed (without overfeeding of course) as you have a cleanup crew in a brand new tank with nothing to clean up.

The bioload of one shrimp is so tiny that I really don't see a difference in one more, two more, three more. Before you add any fish though, I would advise you to get prime if you don't have it, and double check your stocking plan here if you haven't - prime detoxifies ammonia and nitrite in the event of a spike, and the members here can assure you you've chosen proper fish that won't overload the tank. Trusting "the expert at the LFS" has gotten many of us into trouble with our tanks, and 10g is small enough that it can be difficult to work with starting out. Any ammonia or nitrite can definitely kill off your shrimp before you even notice what's wrong, which is why prime is so indispensable.

9. DHIWZ Member Member

Wow this is a lot of help, if I could like it 100x I would! (But I can't, so take a follow instead, you've earned it). 1.0 is indeed extreme since my API test kit measures the lowest level at 5.0, so that definitely had me freaking out a bit. But 20 is really manageable and I think small water changes twice a week should be able to cover it.

My tank is indeed cycled with 0 ammonia and nitrite, and I do use prime as a purifier per the recommendations of literally everyone.

Soo the expert at my LFS said he wouldn't even bother target feeding the Amanos since they're such good scavengers and can look after themselves. (So far I haven't fed them at all, they've just foraged off the brown algae that took over my tank at the end of cycling, and there's still plenty left). Is that would you recommend?

Regarding stocking I will definitely make a post in the stocking thread and let the gods of Fishlore pass judgement.

Once again thanks a lot for your help! You're definitely my go-to for the time being if I have any more questions :)

10. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Well I agree with "the expert" there (though he's still "expert" in quotes lol) - if you drop something edible in there, they'll find it and eat it. I break up algae wafers and shrimp pellets for them and they all scurry over, each pick up a piece (two if they can carry it) scurry off out of sight of the others and eat their pieces. When I give the gouramis their flakes, which are all pretty tiny bits as they're tiny fish, the shrimp all go sailing around the top and middle of the tank and catch pieces as they sink, and then pick up every piece that lands on the plants, in the moss, on driftwood etc.. they are definitely the best cleaners I've ever had.

Always glad to help. Also just saying, sparkling gouramis are the best nano fish ever, hint hint.

11. Brizburk Member Member

Amano shrimp poop a lot.

12. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Nitrates can be higher than 1, that's a bit absurd in my opinion. I have my amano shrimp in a 5-10 range and they are thriving.

13. -Mak- Well Known Member Member

I've heard the amanos are social thing before, but I haven't seen any evidence of it in my own tanks. The amanos I've had together completely ignored each other, and if you think about it, in the wild they're not crammed into tiny tanks and probably don't even come across each other that often.

Also you'll probably end up having to feed them eventually, they do that good of a job.

14. DHIWZ Member Member

That's really interesting. Maybe it's the fact that my tank is so small, but my Amanos LOVE being together. Or at least that's the impression they give me, because they're always feeding/resting in the same area of the tank. I don't really see them interact with each other per se except to push each other out of the way sometimes, but I do think they feel security in numbers.

And I do plan to feed them once the algae and detritus in my tank runs out, but that's feeling like a long way off. Brown algae for days...

15. DHIWZ Member Member

Duplicate post :/