How best to treat popeye on a fish that's already being treated for ich?

Dewclaw83

Okay, so, I've mentioned a few times I'm in the process of treating a 10 gallon for ich. I'm using the heat method, and I just passed the point where there's no visible ich and we're giving it another week with heat to ensure it's gone.

Today I noticed one of the female bettas in the tank had one swollen/cloudy eye, which means it's likely from an injury, right? (Current stock: 2 female bettas and 1 female molly (Yes I know these numbers are too low, but I'm not adding fish to an infected tank, and I only have the one adjustable heater so I can't separate them) they all get along fairly well, though I've seen the molly chase the bettas a few times around feed time) I'm assuming the fact the fish has/had ich also played a role in the popeye being able to take root.

I have never had a fish with popeye, and so did some quick research. Sounds like a full/nearly full water change is recommended (I've been doing 20% daily water changes because of the ich already) as well as Epsom salt baths. I also read that it's recommended to quarantine a fish, though as I said, I only have the one heater. How contagious is it? I may be able to rig up a tank inside the tank if necessary, but it'd be jenky at best and may not stay hot enough. Following that vein, if I quarantine, should I treat with antibiotics? Or just salt? Or both? I'm assuming the popeye is still caused from a bacterial infection even if it's from an injury? Or will it just clear up on its own since it's just the one eye (I doubt this)?

Basically, does anyone have any recommendations on how to treat the one without stopping the treatment of the other? And which treatment would be best for this?

Sien

Okay, so, I've mentioned a few times I'm in the process of treating a 10 gallon for ich. I'm using the heat method, and I just passed the point where there's no visible ich and we're giving it another week with heat to ensure it's gone.

Today I noticed one of the female bettas in the tank had one swollen/cloudy eye, which means it's likely from an injury, right? (Current stock: 2 female bettas and 1 female molly (Yes I know these numbers are too low, but I'm not adding fish to an infected tank, and I only have the one adjustable heater so I can't separate them) they all get along fairly well, though I've seen the molly chase the bettas a few times around feed time) I'm assuming the fact the fish has/had ich also played a role in the popeye being able to take root.

I have never had a fish with popeye, and so did some quick research. Sounds like a full/nearly full water change is recommended (I've been doing 20% daily water changes because of the ich already) as well as Epsom salt baths. I also read that it's recommended to quarantine a fish, though as I said, I only have the one heater. How contagious is it? I may be able to rig up a tank inside the tank if necessary, but it'd be jenky at best and may not stay hot enough. Following that vein, if I quarantine, should I treat with antibiotics? Or just salt? Or both? I'm assuming the popeye is still caused from a bacterial infection even if it's from an injury? Or will it just clear up on its own since it's just the one eye (I doubt this)?

Basically, does anyone have any recommendations on how to treat the one without stopping the treatment of the other? And which treatment would be best for this?
Hi! Yes I agree your numbers are too low but you are making the smart choice in not adding fish right now. I would keep up with 40% water changes daily and do epsom salt baths. I have found a pretty good routine for epsom salt baths if you want to hear it (unless you have your own!). Do not do AQ salt for popeye, I am sure you learned that in your research. What are you treating the ich with? Usually popeye is not contagious. If caused by injury it is a sole case, if caused by bacteria then the bacteria is a problem and all the fish are already exposed to that, if caused by poor water quality then it is your water and all the fish are in that water anyways. Hope that made sense! Do not let it clear up on its own because it likely won't without a little bit of help. Your fish are already weakened and stressed from the Ich so the salt baths and consistent water changes should help.

Dewclaw83

Hi! Yes I agree your numbers are too low but you are making the smart choice in not adding fish right now. I would keep up with 40% water changes daily and do epsom salt baths. I have found a pretty good routine for epsom salt baths if you want to hear it (unless you have your own!). Do not do AQ salt for popeye, I am sure you learned that in your research. What are you treating the ich with? Usually popeye is not contagious. If caused by injury it is a sole case, if caused by bacteria then the bacteria is a problem and all the fish are already exposed to that, if caused by poor water quality then it is your water and all the fish are in that water anyways. Hope that made sense! Do not let it clear up on its own because it likely won't without a little bit of help. Your fish are already weakened and stressed from the Ich so the salt baths and consistent water changes should help.
I’d love to hear your routine for the epsom salt baths!
And as I mentioned, I’m using the heat method to treat it, the tank is at 87 degrees right now.

Sien

I’d love to hear your routine for the epsom salt baths!
And as I mentioned, I’m using the heat method to treat it, the tank is at 87 degrees right now.

For the epsom salt baths I fill a container with a half gallon of water, de-chlorinate, and add 1 teaspoon of salt, mix well. Make sure the water matches your tank temp. Scoop your fish out (I use an old betta cup) and put her in the bath, no need to acclimate. Leave her and supervise her for 15 min. I have had one betta stress clamp for 5 min then be okay and the most recent betta I treated was completely fine. But if you notice severe signs of stress remove her immediately. If this is the case you can try a half-3/4 teaspoon of salt and leave her in the bath for 20 min. When putting her back in the tank, scoop her out and try to add the least amount of epsom salt bath to your actual tank. Dump the water and do not re use for future baths. You can do this bath up to 3 times a day but give her a couple hours between. I would do 2 baths a day personally for now until you see the swelling go down. If I need to clarify anything let me know !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Anixandria
  • Question
Replies
Views
Crimson_687
Replies
Views
jchen9827
Replies