How badly am I overstocked? Question

1. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

I originally had 8 neons, but they fought like crazy so I added two more to make 10 and now they're calm and showing even brighter colors than before. My main concern is I have a 10 gallon with a filter rated for a 20 gallon. I have a jungle of live plants to help absorb fish waste and excess nitrates and I am militant about a 25% water change every 7 days on the dot. How badly am I overstocked with my current setup in the 10 gallon?

10 Neon Tetras
    1 Betta
    3 Otocinclus

I don't think any of them are huge on the bioload, as long as they aren't overfed.. Thanks!

2. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I would say you are a little overstocked. I wouldn't keep 10 neons in a 10g tank.

Just because they have a small bioload doesn't mean the tank is big enough. They need more swimming room IMO. The reason they were fighting was probably because there are so many in such a small space.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

I think the neons may have fought because of the size. I dont believe them to be okay for a 10 gallon, but thats my opinion.

It depends on how much filter media your filter can hold, not the GPH rating. What filter is it?

None of the fish mentioned are heavy wasters ( the betta no so much), but like i said, it depends on the filter, especially on a small tank like that

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

:;hf

5. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

The filter is an Aquaclear 20 by Hagen. In my opinion it's the best filter out there

6. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

That filter will be okay, provided the tank is established and stable.

As for best filters, HOBs IMO are the biggest waste of your money, but thats just me.

7. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

When you have a 10 gallon Canisters are a little overkill lol. Im going to return two of the neons. I don't want to take chances as this tank is over 8 months old. Don't want to mess it up

8. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

i agree. Canisters on a 10 gallon are just as much a waste of money.

For 20 gallons and down, sponge filters all the way, or internal power filters.

9. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

Yup! The only reason I dont have a 55 gallon right now is I just finished Graduate School and will be moving shortly as soon as I am offered a job in my field. A 10 gallon is a cinch to move!

By the way I think I have both males and females in the same tank and that's why there was bickering. Careless LFS doesn't even sex their fish? Two females to one male no wonder they fight...

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The tom rapids mini canister is perfect for a 10.

11. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

Yes but if my filter is performing well, why change it?

12. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Neons are fish that are sold at around a dollar per fish, would you sex each TINY fish for that? I know i wouldnt. Nevertheless, i still think that it is space rather than that.

Jaysee... We all know you love canisters ;D but a 10 gallon canister... no im sorry, my sponges will OWN!

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

You said it was overkill and ryan said it a waste of money - my comment had nothing to do with the job your current filter is doing. It remains a perfect (and cheap) filter for a 10 regardless ;)

You think a sponge filter provides better filtration than a canister??

14. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

If i say yes dont kill me ;D... lol

No of course not, its just for a tank that size i prefer to stay simple. Small cainsters arent, at least the experience iv had with them.

Also for the money you spend (considering a 10 gallon is mostly a first time tank or a child wanting a fish) you do get a great quality filter for student money (which believe me i know all about).

I say waste of money because considering the balance between spongies and canisters (balance being cost, effectiveness and quality) id have to say they're pretty even.

I still stick to my guns though. Sponge filter with a small powerhead is the best ;D

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Now why would I kill you? :)

The mini canisters costs $23, and are pretty simple. Aside from that, I agree that you shouldn't have to spend more than 30 on a filter for a 10, and anything bigger than the mini canister would be overkill.

I also think that a 10 shouldn't NEED a canister, even a mini. It's a small tank and should not be overstocked, so the extra filtration capacity the mini canister has over the sponge is wasted. I use them so that the water doesn't evaporate, and because it is SILENT. And it uses 1 plug versus 2 (air pump and powerhead) since plugs are at a premium in my house :D

16. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Because we all know you swear by canisters :) Theres actually a rumor going around about it, but dont tell anyone i told you :;fim ;D

Agreed, waste is pretty much the best way to say it

My sponges only have 1 outlet for the powerhead? no air pump needed. As for the ones that do have an air pump driving it (only the QT tanks) i have 1 airpump driving 2 sponges on 2 tanks. Adjustable too ;D;D

17. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I also really like sand :)

18. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Eh, i like Aqua-techs, ill swear by them. They can move water and keep it clean. Ever since i started using them on my tilapia fry tanks i will always promote them. I like canisters aswell.

Back to the OP :p, The stocks not horrible, i wont lie though, dont be surprised if your betta kills someone. They can be the calmest sweetes fish for the longest time and then BAM massacare.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Haha... yeah well i guess a tank with nothing but a canister seems to leave a void. Sounds like you got the sand working that void well ;D

20. GradSchoolZombie87 Member Member

Wow there is a whole lively Discussion. And hey I take offense to the 10 gallons for kids thing!!!! I want a bigger one but since I'm moving as soon as I'm offered a career in my field I don't want to haul a 55 gallon 17 hours to the other side of the country lol! As soon as I'm permanently settled I'll invest in a bigger tank!

I returned the other 2 fish and now the neons aren't fighting =)