How Bad?????

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by GBR.Moorrreeee, Apr 10, 2010.

1. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

I've had a 10 gallon hex running for 5 years, with a penguin filter on it and just wanted to know how badlly overstocked it was. I do a water change maybe once every two months and have never had a problem.
    3 Black Skirt Tetras
    3 Black Neon tetras
    2 Serpae Tetras
    2 Neon tetras

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I wouldnt say it was that bad if you were doing weekly or every two week water changes.

4. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Pretty overstocked.
    However, if this tank has been running for 5 years with these exact same fish and water change routine, I wouldn't change anything.

Edit: Ooops, read that as a 5 hex, sorry!
    I agree, not too badly overstocked.

5. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Yep. Its now in my little bro's room. Everythings fine in the water and everything but the last time we did a water change is last summer. And i still haven't had a problem.

6. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Oh dear! Last summer?
    Problem with that kind of tank maintenance is you'll have a case of Old Tank Syndrome.
    If you tried to right things (I imagine the nitrates must be sky high) the fish would be shocked by clean water.

7. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

8. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Really?? amazing... just out of curiosity, do you know the parameters? What kit do you use, or do you use strips?

9. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

I just take it to the LFS and they test it even though i know the ph is around 7.3
    It mightv'e helped that teh first batch died out and i left it running with plants and everything for about 3 years.:)

10. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

most pet stores use strips which cannot be relied upon :(
    although I agree the stock isnt bad, water changes also replenish much needed vitamins and essentials for the tank....can you imagine living in your bathroom without ever flushing the toilet? LOL thats what no water changes remind me of ....but I agree...doing too much of a change with them, could give them a major shock....id go with maybe 10-20% changes every other week at least...just because they survive, doesnt mean they are striving....would love to see pics sometime! I love the hex tanks

11. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

The place i take them to uses a full test kit, and are realy accurate (they must be to have 5 show tanks one with discus). And i wouldn't realy say its a LFS. Its called the Dallas North Aquaruim. With the tank, would it help that it is heavily planted????? The neon tetras in there are doing a ton better in it then in my bowfront (46 gallon; they are surviviours from my bad choice of madagascars with them. They were alone for a while.) Heres a pick.

12. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

The heavy planting does help. But water changes and gravel vacs do more than get rid of nitrates. They get rid of debris, put oxygen into the water, replenish necessary minerals, and make it so that dangerous gas pockets don't build up in the substrate.

But really, I agree with the others. The fish are probably so used to those conditions that sudden large water changes (I do 50-60% weekly) would kill them.

13. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

You would have to reacclimate them extreamly slowly....like for 2 hours slowly adding in fresh treated water into a container that has the old water and fish in it.....

14. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

the pics

Attached Files:

15. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

and more

Attached Files:

16. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

For a tank going that long with out a water change....the water and glass are crystal clear...

17. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Yup. I still don't get how it works and im not going to mess with it. ??????

18. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

What kind of filter does it have on it? *Edit, Never mind..lol* Is there anything you do to the tank?

19. GBR.MoorrreeeeValued MemberMember

Besides leaving it running for 3 years wiht just plants, nope.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice