How Bad?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pretty overstocked.
However, if this tank has been running for 5 years with these exact same fish and water change routine, I wouldn't change anything.

Edit: Ooops, read that as a 5 hex, sorry!
I agree, not too badly overstocked.

OP
G

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yep. Its now in my little bro's room. Everythings fine in the water and everything but the last time we did a water change is last summer. And i still haven't had a problem.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh dear! Last summer?
Problem with that kind of tank maintenance is you'll have a case of Old Tank Syndrome.
If you tried to right things (I imagine the nitrates must be sky high) the fish would be shocked by clean water.

OP
G

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just take it to the LFS and they test it even though i know the ph is around 7.3
It mightv'e helped that teh first batch died out and i left it running with plants and everything for about 3 years.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
most pet stores use strips which cannot be relied upon
although I agree the stock isnt bad, water changes also replenish much needed vitamins and essentials for the tank....can you imagine living in your bathroom without ever flushing the toilet? LOL thats what no water changes remind me of ....but I agree...doing too much of a change with them, could give them a major shock....id go with maybe 10-20% changes every other week at least...just because they survive, doesnt mean they are striving....would love to see pics sometime! I love the hex tanks

OP
G

GBR.Moorrreeee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The place i take them to uses a full test kit, and are realy accurate (they must be to have 5 show tanks one with discus). And i wouldn't realy say its a LFS. Its called the Dallas North Aquaruim. With the tank, would it help that it is heavily planted????? The neon tetras in there are doing a ton better in it then in my bowfront (46 gallon; they are surviviours from my bad choice of madagascars with them. They were alone for a while.) Heres a pick.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The heavy planting does help. But water changes and gravel vacs do more than get rid of nitrates. They get rid of debris, put oxygen into the water, replenish necessary minerals, and make it so that dangerous gas pockets don't build up in the substrate.

But really, I agree with the others. The fish are probably so used to those conditions that sudden large water changes (I do 50-60% weekly) would kill them.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You would have to reacclimate them extreamly slowly....like for 2 hours slowly adding in fresh treated water into a container that has the old water and fish in it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom