How Bad Is It Really/not My Tank

1. F

Fal Valued Member Member

So, curious to know what everyone thinks!

My housemate has a tank. Imo its in pretty bad condition, but I'm pretty new to the hobby myself, so I'm not sure how bad it really is.

Thought I'd share to get some opinions, and possibly better equip myself to persuade him to use a bit more care...

So here is the stats:

-35g long
    -2 filters - 290l (per hr?) Hang on and 550l/ph canister.
    -No heater
    -Water change- 30ish% per month
    -Packed with fake plants and random log that still has spiderwebs on it.
    -brown algae thats been there for months.

Stocking:
    -2 silver angelfish
    -green severum
    -2 blue gourami
    -clown loach
    -red jewel cichlid
    -Elliot's cichlid

Anyways feel free to share any opinions u want! Thanks everyone!

2. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Oh goodness... heavily over stocked... not enough water changes :( and those fish really need heaters

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It's a work in progress... as those fish grow, bad things will happen. The severum is way too large for that tank, even alone. As is the clown loach, a future foot long fish.
    The jewel should soon kill the peaceful elliotti, and then everything else unless the loach uses its razor spine.

In a perfect world, when the guts settle, the elliotti and the two gouramis should be alive, as they are fine with no heater.

4. OP
    OP
    F

Fal Valued Member Member

With his luck i bet they will live way longer than they should too.
    This is his smaller angel, if u can see its condition through the algae... 20170805_223751.jpg
    Its been like that for a long time...

5. kayla.s

kayla.s Well Known Member Member

Would be interesting to know what the water parameters are...

6. OP
    OP
    F

Fal Valued Member Member

I did use a test strip on it a while back and I know it was terrible, I believe it had trouble reading some things as if he didnt have a cycle...but i think that something else was off the charts..cant remember what though.

If i had a master kit i would test it properly.

7. OP
    OP
    F

Fal Valued Member Member

So i got a master kit today and thought id let you know what the parameters are :)

Ph: 7.6
    Ammonia: over 0.25ppm
    Nitrite: under 0.25ppm
    Nitrate: suspected over 160ppm. Had reached max before it developed.

Also the angel did in fact pass away from damage to the gills a few days ago.

8. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

there should not be a single cichlid in that tank. Cichlids need bigger than 36g usually. That severum if cared for can get to 10". The clown coach will get huge as well. i think you should tell your friend to really go research the fish he's keeping. He'll be mightily surprised at thier requirements. :(

9. Danjamesdixon

Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

Does he have any interest in keeping them correctly?

10. OP
    OP
    F

Fal Valued Member Member

Hmmm, I would say he is convinced that he does, although he believes his own method is the right method. Such as water changes are meant to be done monthly, fish grow to the size of the tank, cycling is not needed, de-chlorinators are a gimmick (yet he uses them), salt is a necessity, but he couldnt be bothered...etc.

11. BravetheBetta

BravetheBetta Well Known Member Member

^essentially he's convinced himself that his interest goes only as far as whatever he believes in, whether or not it's true. how unfortunate. you're in Aus? i'm surprised most of his fish haven't yet dropped to the cold (or at least ich, scaleless fish like loaches in cool water = ich storm)

12. Danjamesdixon

Perhaps he could be convinced otherwise if you were to show him this thread, populated with informed answers from Aquarists with unmatched experience in the hobby?

13. OP
    OP
    F

Fal Valued Member Member

Yer it is unfortunate that he is in denial. I am in aus! And yes he has been relatively lucky. His loach has never been unwell!

Im afraid he would just get mad. I wouldnt even dare showing him the test results for his water. He was originally quite mad at me for feeding his fish pond snails. And even madder again when he found out i was letting them take the snails from my hand.

14. BravetheBetta

BravetheBetta Well Known Member Member

that is so odd! i work in an aquatic store, and everytime clowns come in through a shipment, they have/get ich 80%~ of the time. he really is lucky!

15. Danjamesdixon

Humans and their pride -.-

Sometimes I wonder if it's possible to be reincarnated as a fish with a poor owner. Such an unfair existence.

16. OP
    OP
    F

Fal Valued Member Member

Yes, i have only ever seen ich on clowns in pet stores so far myself!

It is pretty sad. I don't know what gets into people. Everyone has their faults, but a lot seem to be missing a heart altogether.

17. UglyAsian

UglyAsian Well Known Member Member

I hope the fish in that tank will get better

18. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

They won't. He'll keep them all in that tank until they die.

19. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

It sort of is true that fish will only grow to the size of the tank they're in, but that causes so many health problems and defects within the fish. If anything I wish he would do more water changes, especially since the tank isn't cycled what so ever.