How Are There Fish In My Pond!? Funny

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by chloep123, Jun 16, 2019.

1. chloep123Valued MemberMember

Crazy story for you guys!!
    Beginning of this year I was disappointed to find none of my fish made the harsh British winter. It must have been February when I went up to check on them (first proper look for them that wasnt just 'chuck a bit of food and break any thin ice') and I found two little goldfish bodies, a week later finding the third.
    I have recently started a new job and decided it wasn't the right time for more pond fish, so I removed the filter and pump, pulled off the netting, and let it be a "wildlife pond".
    Today, I was out doing some gardening and spotted a black shape within the water. Presuming it was a newt, I sat by the water and watched, and couldn't believe when I saw at least 4 goldfish, all around 2 inches big!! I didn't get a good look at them to see if they were fancy, their tail types or anything but I am certain there is at least 4 varying from yellow to black.
    How is this possible? The timing seems all wrong and I have no idea how this happened! Anyone got an explanation?

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, a bird must have caught them somewhere nearby and just happened to end up dropping them in your pond.
    As unlikely as it is, the original three must have somehow bred under ice and these 4 are what survived

3. chloep123Valued MemberMember

I am just surprised I guess, with them only being a couple of inches and it being winter (I.e. inactivity) when I last saw the "parents", it seems a long time for them to grow very little, aka why I was confused. They seem young but I am very very inexperienced with goldfish (or any fish fry)

Thanks for your response, strange how we work so hard to keep our tanks pristine and 4 goldfish exist with no parents in a pond with no netting or filter!

4. Annie59Well Known MemberMember

If you had plants in there they could have had eggs on them maybe. Or any other thing you might have added to the pond could have had a few eggs that hatched out.

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

They're probably so small because their metabolism slows to almost nothing when it gets below 40F

6. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

goldfish are basically selectively bred carp.

7. bentazNew MemberMember

When I was a kid my dad rented a house with a totally overgrown back garden, being a bit of a green thumb he decided to cut it All back and tidy it up.
    Low and behold against the back fence he found a pond, it had been completely overgrown for probably ten years, the shrubs n stuff had grown about 6 ft out and over it.
    Anyway the water (if you could call it that) was as black as the ace of spades and there was more leaf litter and debris that water however the pond had some of the biggest fattest goldfish I've ever seen and stacks of little ones as well.
    They had had no filter, no water changes or human feeding them for years. Moral of the story is goldfish are tough!
    Please don't take this of endorsement of not looking after goldfish, humans have lived through times in horrible conditions (slave labour/ concentration camps/ flint Michigan) too but I doesn't make those conditions acceptable!

8. chloep123Valued MemberMember

That's incredible!

I plan to care for them best I can but it was a bit of a surprise