How And What To Feed My Pygmy Corydoras?

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Over It, Aug 4, 2017.

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I have been feeding all of my Corydoras Bottom Feeder wafers, algae wafers, fish flakes and defrosted brine shrimp.

The Sterbai and False Julii's did great with everything. My Pygmy's on the other hand I am worried about. I never see them eat. I add in the food a little while before lights out and they never go near it. I've even tried adding it a couple hours before lights out to try and see if they are eating, but I've not seen them eat once.

What are the best foods for them and how should I be feeding them to make sure they are eating well?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Best foods for cories are high protein things like frozen foods along with a staple of sinking fish pellets or shrimp pellets. They are almost completely carnivorous so they don't need algae wafers. I would try feeding frozen bloodworms. Most fish go crazy for them. Bloodworms are too rich to be fed every day though.

3. OP
    OP
    O

I did the algae wafers a couple of times since I had a Pleco and Amano Shrimp in the tank at the time.
    I don't use them anymore though unless I think my snails aren't getting enough to eat.
    The bottom feeder wafers are for Corydoras and fish flakes I use have a lot of protein.
    I hate shrimp pellets and the bottom feeder pellets cause they smell horrible! Like I can smell them after adding them to the tank from 10 feet away. It's awful, like dead fish and dead snails have been mixed together and dumped into your water. lol
    They wouldn't eat the defrosted brine shrimp. I do have baby frozen brine shrimp though. I'll give that a try tonight.
    Are there any shrimp or bottom feeder pellets that don't smell so bad? I have been using National Geographic shrimp and lobster pellets for my sons Dwarf Crayfish and they don't seem to smell as bad, but that could be because he only needs one and eats it immediately.

4. OP
    OP
    O

Can they live and be healthy off of just the frozen brine shrimp and blood worms? I'm allergic to blood worms so I don't use them unless I absolutely have to, but if they need them I'll suffer though it for their benefit.

Oh I just noticed you mentioned fish pellets. So just like regular sinking fish pellets. They don't have to be a special kind? What about Betta pellets? They are super high in protein.

5. BottomDweller

I use the I Love Fish shrimp and snails pellets because they are the only brand the LFS sells. They don't smell any worse than any other fish foods.

No they'll still need to be fed pellets or flakes along with frozen foods. You could try all sorts of frozen foods (try daphnia, tubifex, whiteworms or whatever they sell at your LFS), bloodworms aren't necessary they're just the most likely to be eaten IME.

6. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

I feed my breeding albinos and pygmy colonys Vitalis Catfish pellets:  

Supplemented with whatever they forage from the sand of the other inhabitants foods, such as tropical flakes, algae wafers (that are for the shrimp) daphnias and bloodworms. they go a little crazy for the last two.

I will say though the pygmies will not be seen eating as much, the larger ones start flying around my tank once the food is added but pygmy corydoras will just forage in their won time which is often when the lights are out and its dark (their favourite time to be active) at which point its very hard to see a tiny grey fish. Trust me they are getting their food! I worried about mine at first too but I've had them so long even tho i never see them eat there's no way they have survived the last year and grown so much that they haven't eaten.

7. OP
    OP
    O

Ok. Thanks. I'll see what I can find when I go to the store today.
    Can I use the Betta pellets though? I have some super tiny ones that I will never get through so it'd be great if they'd work for the Pygmys.

I'll see if they have that brand. I honestly have never smelled anything so bad coming from fish tank with the other bottom feeder pellets I tried. I also tried 2 different batches to make sure it wasn't just the one. Dead snails smell better than those things. My whole family was gagging for a good 2 hours till I finally did enough eater changes to get the smell to go away.

8. BottomDweller

Betta pellets should be fine if they sink

9. Samuel97

Samuel97 Well Known Member Member

My vitalis pellets smell a little if you stick your nose in the pot but not other than that. you also need very very little of them, don't over feed else they may stick around too long and that's what caused the smell. Pygmy are tiny just drop a pellet or two for each one.

10. OP
    OP
    O

Thanks for the reply. That makes me feel better. I'll still try to get them the best food for them that I can, but I won't worry quite as much if I don't see them eating.

11. D

Discusluv Well Known Member Member

The other food my corydoras love is freeze dried black-worms. They come in small cubes and I cut them in quarters and stick this to the glass right above the gravel line. Oh Boy! Feeding frenzy! :)

12. OP
    OP
    O

I'm gonna try the frozen baby brine shrimp tonight and I got some sinking fish pellets. They are supposed ti be good for all freshwater fish and the protein in them is higher then the shrimp or bottom feeder pellets. They are super small too so hopefully the Pygmys will like them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice