How and what shrimp to breed?

Discussion in 'Shrimps and Crabs' started by josh11551, Apr 11, 2010.

1. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

I want to know which shrimp are easiest to breed and what are the breeder tanks best setup (how should i set the tank up). what are the optimal temperatures?

2. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

I consider that Crystal Red Shrimps, Red Cherry Shrimps, Amano, and Blueberry are easy to breed. They need a dense planted tank since they pick at the matter that is on the plants. Moss is a great option for them. You can use a 20 gallon long. I have a 10 but is better to a more swim area instead of height. You can probably check their profiles on the Fishlore home page.

3. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

where can i get cheap plants to plant the tank and does the tank need a filter or can i just use an air stone?

4. Chris123Well Known MemberMember

A local fish club can hook you up with plants for cheap and some of the members on here too.

Yes they do need a filter and airstone

5. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

ok i wish i lived closer to lancaster because they have a fish club but they are an hour away. so ill just keep a look out for plants and shrimp

6. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

You can get cheap plant packages on aquabid. I'm getting ready trim a bunch of my plants soon. The important thing is that you get the tank set up and cycled well before you add shrimps into it. I recommend a sponge filter at the minimum. Ken's got them for good prices so does DRS. I have 2 of them and I got them from DRS. Here is a link.  
    If you get your tank set up with your light and cycled I tell you what I send you the plants. Where are you located?

7. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

i am in 17020 10-15 miles away from harrisburg. and i actually have 2 tanks already cycling one is a 20 (not long though) and another is a 15 they have been cycling 2 weeks (a little longer) but they aren't ready yet. i have a HOB filter for the 15 and a sponge filter and air stone in the 20.(these two tanks are almost done cycling which is why i asked the question) the light is an Aqua-Glo 15W

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  8. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

I answered your PM. :;th

9. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

Check your pm box navy i sent another :)

10. Danionins.comValued MemberMember

Amano shrimp, caridina japonica, larvae won't survive in a fresh water tank. They need brackish water during the first weeks.

Dennis

11. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

I disagree with you. Here is some info for ya.

12. Danionins.comValued MemberMember

Did you by chance read the links you provided?

Badman's...
    "The Amano Shrimp is difficult to breed. I have read that there have only been a few people who have managed to breed these shrimp, and even fewer who have managed to raise the fry. It is believed that the mating season lies in late spring or early summer. If fry are produced, they should be removed from the parents, and should be kept in an aquarium with a sponge filter and plenty of algae to eat."

Liveaquaria...
    "The Amano Shrimp is very difficult to breed, and very few hobbyists have been able to raise the larvae to maturity. The average life span of the Japonica Amano Shrimp is 2 to 3 years in captivity."

Dennis

13. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

I'm referring to the brackish water as you said. Not how hard they are to breed. I have been successful so far with Blueberry ones.

14. Danionins.comValued MemberMember

I guess I'm just totally confused. Josh asked...
    You replied...
    I said "The Amano larvae, (the baby shrimp), won't survive in a fresh water tank. They need brackish water during the first weeks.

You replied...
    Both of your links state, "The Amano Shrimp is difficult to breed."

What am I missing here? ???

Dennis

15. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

I know of 3 people that are very successful breeding Amano shrimps. I actually was really close on getting them but decided for Cherry and Blueberry.

16. josh11551Well Known MemberMember

Can i make a makeshift hood for my tank until i get a new hood out of plastic wrap?(as long as i leave some room to put food in the tank and so the HOB filter to work)

17. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

But how about the lighting? I'd say go for it, though.

To make an attempt the clear up the stuff about Amano shrimp:

As far as I've read, Amano shrimp live fine in freshwater (I have 3 in my 10 gallon). However, when it comes to breeding, they require brackish water. In the wild, the eggs and later larvae are swept into estuaries where they grow up.

Baby Amano shrimp are plankton, rendering it very difficult to raise them, however, with time and patience, this is possible. The babies also need brackish water to grow up out of their larval stage.

I would respectfully disagree with Navyscuba about CRS (crystal red shrimp). I believe that they are rather difficult to raise, especially for beginners, as they require optimal water parameters and some rather detailed special needs, such as acidic water for them to breed, and absolutely no ammonia, nitrite, and minimal nitrate. This may be due to their lack of a diverse gene pool from interbreeding.

I think that red cherry shrimp are the best and easiest shrimp to breed. Just put a piece of sponge filter media over the filter intake, add Java moss, and you're done!

18. navyscubaWell Known MemberMember

I well my opinion was there you take for what is worth. CRS are way common on another site that I'm a member of and no special needs. I currently have Cherry ones 20 of them.

19. TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Checkout:

Arizonainverts.com

Theshrimpfarm.com

Both have very good information.

20. ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Wait, do you mean Cherry Red Shrimp (or Red Cherry Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, Neocardina heteropoda, Neocardina denticulata sinensis, or RCS)?

Crystal Red Shrimp are a variety of bee shrimp. They were selectively bred from four (I think) bee shrimp with a little more red than the others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice