How am I doing so far on my 10 gallon Aquarium/Riparium?

Harlebleondora

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Water alone from a cycled tank will not help. The bacteria lives on the substrate and in the filter, and other places with good surface area.

My favourite way to cycle a tank is to tank a bit of sponge from my cycled tanks and stick it in the filter of the new one, wait a week and slowly add fish.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dragonspirit1185 said:
A local pets store owner gave me some water out of his best cycled tank saying it would help mine cycle but I forgot it on the counter xD
Will this help at all?
The bacteria that cycles a tank does not live in the water. The bacteria lives primarily in your filter media. The bacteria then consumes the ammonia and nitrite as the water flows thru the media.

When you take water from a cycled tank and add it to different tank, all you are adding is nitrates.

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well I guess it's a good thing I forgot it then

I'm just gonna wait until a couple of these levels lower then just gonna add a betta with the Tetra Safe Start and go from there.
Thinking about adding a bubble curtain in the back. Might not be as beneficial to the betta as much as other fish but from what I have been told it can help with hardness and make the water stir around more helping it move around to be filtered

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
update....

Amonia: 0
pH: 7.2
Alkaline: 180
Nitrite: 10.0
Nitrate: 40

So since the Nitrites are going up and then the Nitrates are showing does that mean it's finally cycling?
I put a little Tetra Safe Start in there because there was sludge everywhere and I know the bacteria can feed off it.

I also added a water lily plant

hopeful fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It definitely looks like it's cycling. If you see it stop or slow down over the next two days or so, you may want to do a water change to get the nitrites down. Apparently, if they get too high they can overwhelm the bacteria.

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
hopeful fish said:
It definitely looks like it's cycling. If you see it stop or slow down over the next two days or so, you may want to do a water change to get the nitrites down. Apparently, if they get too high they can overwhelm the bacteria.
Okie dokie I will test it again Monday morning
Won't doing a water change possibly remove some of the beneficial stuff?
How much of a water change should I do?

Teleil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello, as already said, bacteria doesn't live in the water, so you won't remove almost any if you do a water change. As for the amount of water to change, if nitrite is still at 10, you'll need 50% water change to get them to 5, 75% water change to get to 2.5. See how the results are and do as big as you can to get them as lower as you can.

After the water change, if nitrites and ammonia get down to 0 and stay that way for 2-3 days i would guess cycle is finished.
But before you get 0,0 and some nitrAte (less then 20 if possible) you'r cycle is still undergoing.
Best luck

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 20
Nitrite: 0
pH: 7.2
Alkalinity: between 120 and 180

I think it has finally cycled

Teleil

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can test that by adding ammonia up to 1ppm and then test at 24 hours, if the results are the same of those you posted, yes you are cycled.
If anything stays up after 24 hours you might need to give it a day or two more.
But in any case it is you are at the very end of it.

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yeah I was but idk how this recent event has impacted everything. Went and got some Japanese algae shrimp and and an assassin snail and I get home and get settled in a bit and my lady friend is like I think your tank is leaking and I'm like and sure enough it was leaking so we made quick trip to Walmart and I grabbed a 10 gallon tank and I have transferred everything. It's the same water and everything but it is super murky in there now and I wonder if it is safe for them to go in.
I guess I have no choice because I have nowhere else to put them.
Blehh this sucks. Oh well what can you do.

fritschT

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh man all that work on such a beautiful tank. I am a newbie and can't help too much but I wish you the best with your tank.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom