How am I doing so far on my 10 gallon Aquarium/Riparium?

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was hoping to add a betta and a couple mollies

pretty sure i"m gonna add a different heater so I can get the temp up about 75°F

sheilashoelady

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mollies really need a larger tank than that, as they are very wasteful. Bettas can also be very unpredictable with how they react to tank mates. I would start with the betta, and go from there.

aquaticat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
dragonspirit1185 said:
I was hoping to add a betta and a couple mollies
I recommend Endler's Livebearers or a small type of tetra instead, since as sheilashoelady said, they get a little too big and active for a 10 gallon. I love my Endlers, they stay about the size of neon tetras and are very pretty Several of my bettas have lived just fine with them and other fish, (though mostly because I raised them from babies with other peaceful fish, though I have had a few mellow ones before.)

Tank's looking awesome so far, good luck with it! ;D

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
+1 to Aquaticat. 14 or so male Endler's will zip around and provide you with endless amusement in exchange for flake food. So much cheaper than Cirque du soleil tickets

Are you sticking with gravel? Plants look ridiculous in sand and get nothing out of it. I'm from the subtropics and can't understand the notion of attempting to plant anything other than cacti in sand...

aquaticat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
endlercollector said:
Are you sticking with gravel? Plants look ridiculous in sand and get nothing out of it. I'm from the subtropics and can't understand the notion of attempting to plant anything other than cacti in sand...
Awwww, what? ??? I LOVE sand!! ;D

But I dunno, I have gravel in my 5 gallon (pff the ONLY tank with gravel now) and combined with some larger "river rocks" it looks pretty cool... and it seems my jungle vals and sagittaria are rooting a bit better in there...

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah I am sticking with gravel. Gonna be getting some flourite to add in there though.
I got my water tested today and the amonia was a little on the high side. Could be from the plants I added is what the associate said....idk.
I was told to stay away from guppies o_O
I like the look of those Endlers. So with my betta how many do you think I can put in there since they are so small? Like 3?
I still wanna get an otocinclus to contol algae. Yes there is algae on some of the plants mostly just the large sword plant.
I just picked up a new heater and some test strips.
So with me adding the Zyme and my ammonia being on the high side for some reason then the bacteria should have something to feed off of right?

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I couldn't find any endlers at Petco at all but I did see these guys which I like a lot they are Threadfin Rainbow Werneri

With Bettas liking to nip at fins this might not be a good idea. also I read they like to be kept in larger groups.

Anyways I have some new readings that I just did.

Ammonia: between .5 and 3.0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Water: Hard
Alkaline: 300
pH: 8.4

I know the pH and the alkaline is rather high and that's not good what can I do to remedy this or is it just part of the cycle?

tfckmk988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nah I haven't added the Safe Start cause I'm not adding fish just yet. Maybe add more Zyme?

Kiara1125

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good luck with your tank. It's gorgeous, just like those rainbows.

hopeful fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you haven't added fish yet, and the ammonia is that high, there is probably ammonia in the source water. Make sure you test the water from the tap for ammonia. Unless, are you doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia?

fishnewbie33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ammonia between .5 and 3? What are you testing with?

I've never heard that plants can cause ammonia to rise, unless maybe if they died and polluted the water...

I don't think you should put Endler's and Bettas together. Endler's are very fast fish; also-from what I have read, they will try to mate with anything...both characteristics make them bad tankmates for bettas.

Probably missed this in one of the other posts...how are you cycling the tank?

tdw1989

Valued Member
Reaction score
the tank looks good so far

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm just letting it do it's thing really lol.
With there being ammonia the bacteria should have something to eat
I don't wanna do the pure ammonia cycle method and there is some dead pieces of plants and whatnot that I put in there on purpose to decay and feed the bacteria. Could be the fact that I used pantyhose as a temp media bag (carbon/Zeolite) and it's all clogged up and stuff and not being able to do it's job. There is sludge all over the biomax and the pantyhose.
My dummy self rinsed the pantyhose off a few days ago with tap water when I should have done it in the tank.

Just bought a better heater to raise the temp
Honestly I'm using Jungle brand Walmart test strips lol
Just the Tetra strips at petco are about what I paid for both of these and the second set is like $11. $30 for test strips is a little much IMO

Readings now are
pH 7.2
Alkaline: 180
Hardness: Very Hard
Ammonia is between .25 and .5

tfckmk988

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i'd invest in the API master freshwater liquid test kit will help you a lot i think also i am fairly sure they will end up lasting longer than the strips

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Added a new heater. Temp is more towards 80°F now

fishnewbie33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
dragonspirit1185 said:
I'm just letting it do it's thing really lol.
With there being ammonia the bacteria should have something to eat
I don't wanna do the pure ammonia cycle method and there is some dead pieces of plants and whatnot that I put in there on purpose to decay and feed the bacteria. Could be the fact that I used pantyhose as a temp media bag (carbon/Zeolite) and it's all clogged up and stuff and not being able to do it's job. There is sludge all over the biomax and the pantyhose.
My dummy self rinsed the pantyhose off a few days ago with tap water when I should have done it in the tank.

Just bought a better heater to raise the temp
Honestly I'm using Jungle brand Walmart test strips lol
Just the Tetra strips at petco are about what I paid for both of these and the second set is like $11. $30 for test strips is a little much IMO

Readings now are
pH 7.2
Alkaline: 180
Hardness: Very Hard
Ammonia is between .25 and .5
Not sure exactly you are using for the ammonia source, but the beneficial bacteria (bb) will only grow proportunately to the available food (ammonia) source. If you don't have enough ammonia, you will have a very small bb base, so that when you start adding fish the bb might be so small as to not be able to support the fish, causing the cycle to be overwhelmed, and crash or mini-cycle, both of which can be detrimental to fish.

Without fish, you can raise the temp to around 86 to speed the cycle.

Also, on Amazon API MAster Freshwater test kit is $22.77 & FREE Shipping from ShopAlot. I've seen it as low as $13 from Amazon.

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna go ahead and add a betta soon and use the tera safe start.
I was told that angel fish would go with a betta well and I'm really interested in these harlequin rasboras and he said they would go or maybe some tetras. Although he could just be trying to get me to buy his fish lol.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 10 gallon tank is far too small for an Angelfish which I believe requires at 29 gallon tank minimum (they get pretty tall) and I believe harlequin Rasboras require 15 gallons minimum.

But that said, Betta's are really solitary fish and should be kept on their own. Usually either the Betta gets it's fins nipped by the other fish who just can rsist taking a bite out of those flowing fins, or the Betta fights with the other fish.

dragonspirit1185

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
blehhhhhhh I want more than just a betta ;-;

One of the plant bulbs looks like it has mold on it o_O
This sin't normal is it?

Just tested the water again and Nitrites are rising and I am seeing somewhat of a reading for nitrates and the Ammonia has settled down some.

A local pets store owner gave me some water out of his best cycled tank saying it would help mine cycle but I forgot it on the counter xD
Will this help at all?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom