how agressave are paradice gourmies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by w_boughner, Mar 23, 2010.

1. w_boughnerValued MemberMember

i was just thinging about my next fish and rember seeing some paradice gourmies at the lfs. but i rember reading somewhere that they are very aggresave like bettas . so are they just out right agressave or just to there own kind like bettas. i want to put them in with live barers and painted tetras

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

They are more community safe than bettas. They are the oldest fish in the hobby - in the beginning, they were the only ones to survive the boat rides.

3. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Paradise fish are gorgeous but territorial. 1 Male per tank and pairs in at least a 30 gal or larger (so the female can get away).
    Are they aggressive? It depends on tank-mates and tank size, they're temperate fish so (in theory) they could be put in with goldfish but they're too aggressive to be put in with fancy goldies. In a topical tank, I'm not sure someone with more experience would have to answer.
    Hope that helps :)

4. w_boughnerValued MemberMember

ok thanks and ill wait for more opinions before i decide

5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

From what I know, they are similar to a 3 spot gourami.

6. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Good advice from Red1313. Don't keep them with any Goldfish at all. Paradise Fish will beat up goldies pretty bad. Also don't keep them with other Betta species (gouramis or fighters). The best tankmates for Paradise Fish IME are some of the mid sized american cichlids like Firemouths & Keyholes. Nothing too aggressive with them but also nothing that won't stick up for itself.

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with Jaysee about them being more community safe than Gouramis. The Paradise Fishes I had killed 6 Black Widow Tetras & 4 Tiger Barbs. I know they can be kept in certain community tanks but I wouldn't recommend it myself.

7. w_boughnerValued MemberMember

ok thanks...i went back to the lfs today and they have a new shipment of paradice in . about 30-40 in a 20gl tank.... it was like watching a bounch af angry dogs attacking each other and when i told the employes they said they will calm down when they get used to the tank ...i wanted to smack them

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Nutter, I said they were more community safe than bettas.

9. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Apologies Jaysee. Everytime someone writes Betta, my mind thinks Gourami. Even though the names are nothing like each other at all. My mind just doesn't want to distinguish the difference between Betta & Trichogaster for some unknown reason.

Your right Paradise Fish are more community freindly than Bettas.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice