How active should my RCS be?

1. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

I just finished setting up a 5 gallon RCS tank over the past month. Six shrimp were added 3 days ago. The first 2 days they were very active. They constantly swam around the tank, up and down the sides, into the current, etc. Now I struggle to find where they are they are hidden so well. They move around slowly and mostly stay underneath my driftwood where I can't see them too well.

I also have not seen them eat. I drop food in twice a day and it's partially eaten when I come back so I remove the leftovers. I read online that a healthy shrimp colony would swarm to food when it's dropped into the tank.

Is it possible something is off about my tank? Or is the whole hiding / slow eating thing typical behavior?

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

If you have places for them to hide, that's what they will do. Before you know it, you will have a tank full of them and wonder where they all came from. I'm not sure if what you have is typical or not. I've only kept them in heavily planted tanks with fish so they have plenty of places to hide. I rarely see mine eat.

3. MJDuti Well Known Member Member

my guess is that since there are only 6 in a 5G tank (nothing else?) they are probably exploring, eating algae/plants/etc, molting, and possibly mating. Is it heavily planted? They could just have a ton of places to hide, which is fine. They are probably picking at your driftwood underneath as well. Normally rcs will swim around the entire tank when they are comfortable, but not all the time. These guys are tiny and do not require a lot of food. You could be over feeding them and they are so stuffed that they don't care about the food. I personally have had some for a couple years now and as cool as it would be to see, they don't smell food and fly right over like a shark. They take their time, however, they will stack on top of each other in hordes to get a piece of food though. If you start seeing little babies then you'll know everything's alright.

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Mine spend all their time in the moss or on plants, the only time I see them swimming round the tank is when the males are searching for a female to mate with.

5. TheAquaricrat0 Member Member

Thanks for the responses. The day after I made this post my shrimp were back at it again and swimming around. I also noticed that 2 of the shrimp molted.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app