How Active Are Neons?

1. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

I got a school of 10 neons yesterday but they don't seem active, they move around slowly and only become a little faster when I come near the tank, is that normal?

Also one of them has very red gills, this picture is not mine but it looks similar:

I think the reason is because the qt tank is not cycled, but I am doing water changes everyday and dosing the whole tank with prime...
  2. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

They'll probably need some time to get comfortable. My rummynose tetras never really got comfortable in qt, and colored up only after they reached the big tank. Same with my blue tetras. Blue in the big tank but washed out in qt.

3. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Red gills as I recall is either a symptom of ammonia or nitrite poisoning. What are your water's parameters of you quarantine tank? Do you have a tank that is cycled, if yes can you use some of the media from that filter to be put into the quarantine tank filter?
  4. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would give them a day, do the water changes like planned. See how they look tomorrow. The tank they came from could have had a high Ammonia level. Red gills can indicate a parasite like gill flukes also, but at this point just wait and see.

5. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Wait my platies in the big tank have red gills, could that be flukes and they have white poop as well (Not stringy though)?
  6. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Are they acting weird? Itching or rubbing on anything? There are other symptoms besides red gills. Because the neons are new, you don't know if something is wrong. With the plagues you have had them for a a couple months. You would notice different behavior by now. I would hope anyways.
  7. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Yeah I do some different behavior, the chasing is still happening, after the platy gets chased I usually see clamped fins as well as heavy breathing. I also saw him today rubbing himself on airline tubing, but it was only for 2 seconds and I've never seen him do it before

8. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would treat for parasites then. I would get API General Cure. It has both the anti-parasitic and antibiotic in it. It is your best treatment. Be sure to take the carbon out of your filter before adding the meds. And follow the directions on the box.
  9. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Should I remove the guppies and only treat the platys, or remove the platys to the qt tank and treat or do I just leave the tank as is? Also will the cycle be affected, I don't want to start all over again lol...
  10. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Just treat the whole tank. It shouldn't mess with your cycle.

11. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

12. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to say that looks normal. Google images of a sunburst platt and every photo they have a red spot there. I find it hard to think every photo on the internet shows that platt with ammonia burned gills. But I'm honestly not an expert.
  13. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

That's what I saw when I was looking for a picture, most of the sunburst platys have red gills. But could the white poop still mean parasites? Or are they just stressed because they chase each other all day?

I've thought about putting one of them in quarantine with the neons to see if they stop having white feces but I am not sure about that because I don't want to risk the neons contracting the parasite if there is one...
  14. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Is the white poop stringy? If yes I would go ahead and treat with prazipro for internal parasites.
  15. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

16. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

17. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Oh really, Walmart sells 1 oz Parazi pro bottles, would that be enough?

Should I try soaking food in garlic juice first because I've heard that it is anti parasitic?
  18. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Garlic juice won't get rid of the internal parasites no, it has some properties that can help boost a fish's immune system and make food more tasty. 1 oz of prazipro would work just fine, you usually only need to do one small dose.
  19. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

I would do the prazipro. The dose with the hikari Prazipro is 1/2 tsp (2.5 ml) for 10 gallons. So 1oz should be enough. You almost always need to do 2 rounds. Then 30 days later another dose just as an extra insurance.

API General Cure also has Praziquantel in it. Which is the med in Prazipro. So if you already got that, then it would be fine to use also.
  20. Z123Killer Well Known Member Member

Ok, thanks for the help, but just so you know the guppies that are in the tank with the platys, don't have white feces, the feces is mostly red. Aren't parasites contagious?