how active are guppies supposed to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hello i have four male guppies that have been in Q together for little over a week. i want to make sure they are ok before going to the main tank. so....they have, for the most part, been hovering either in the bubbles from the air stone, near the filter, or near the bottom. they aren't very active swimmers....not like most fish i've personally seen or had. i just wonder if this is "normal" for guppies? thanks!

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the Q is supposed to be cycled......it tested ok last week. i used an extra sponge i had in my other filter for the setup. i moved them to a different q today because i'm using the 10g for a betta tank. so i know the tank they went to is for sure cycled. they sort of used to be more active and chasing and playing with each other.

red020804

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
i have four male guppies and they are constantly chasing each other around the tank playing. so mine are active but whether it or its normal i dont know for sure because im new to fish as well. i hope they are ok

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
guppies are a lot like a litter of puppies, always moving around and playing (and making babies...). the only time mine are ever sitting still is when i first turn the lights on in the morning and they're still 1/2 asleep trying to figure out whats going on

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i dunno, i can't figure it out. i turned down the airstone, i didn't know if it was too high. i'm not sure how much bubbling they like? they seemed to come up more once i turned it down. but really, it's like they hover.....

do you think something is wrong with them? if so, i could probably take the back.....the lady knows me there. i've not had them all that long.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
What are the water perameters exactly? I have 12 guppys (all females) in my crayfish's tank. (They are there as food I know) But they are very active and playful. Trying to steal little bits from Eli's algae wafers. But other then that they are very active only really standing still to just hover for a minute then running along.

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the water is amm:0 nitrite:0 nitrate:10. the smallest one seems a bit more active.....the one who has been the least active, came alive when i feed them this a.m. maybe it has something to do with the fact it's just them in the tank? they have no one else to look at so they're bored?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
the water is amm:0 nitrite:0 nitrate:10. the smallest one seems a bit more active.....the one who has been the least active, came alive when i feed them this a.m. maybe it has something to do with the fact it's just them in the tank? they have no one else to look at so they're bored?
i have a guppy only tank and they entertain themselves. when i had otos, they never bothered them, except when i 1st put them in, and the guppies were trying to figure out what they were, but as soon as they figured out the otos were staying, they ignored them. hoe long have you had them? if you only just put them in a few days ago, or even closer to a week, them may just be having a hard time settling in. one of my newer females, Amorak, didnt settle in untill just over a week and now she is one of the 1st ones looking for food and playing with the others. they may just need time

Shaina

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 9 atm...they pretty much ignore the Bolivian Ram and the Kuhlis they share a tank with and constantly weave in and out of each other.

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well i guess i have found the answer.....i took them back to my lfs! i just was never satisfied about how they acted. i think there was also some nipping going on. i saw some nipped tails. i traded them lol. they were v pretty.....but just not worth the drama! thanks though everyone.

mcurtissdsu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, my guppies are very active. Whenever I have seen them just hovering, they die shortly after. They are constantly swimming and playing when they are healthy, in my experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Weekly

Votes: 90 65.7%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 16 11.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 25 18.2%

Top Bottom