How 2 setup my canister w/ limited Supplies and $$

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by grelsner96, Jul 11, 2015.

1. g

grelsner96 New Member Member

Hi everyone. I have posted a few questions before and have not had luck with getting any advice. So, I've relied on other sources who may be better or less informed. I have a used canister filter I bought a while ago, and I am trying to at least start it for a while with what the previous owner gave me in supplies. I emptied the canister and cleaned it all, but can't remember the order which they had it. Its a MArineland 360 FYI.

I do know for certain that at the very bottom was the basket (the only basket that has a flat bottom without holes for waterflow-so I think its meant to be at the bottom) with the foam I think it's called- its black, very porous.
    Also I have a basket with bio-balls, and ceramic rings, and ONE polishing pad. I don't know which order to put them? Also, I have the filter just below the surface of the water by about a foot, instead of the recommended 2 feet. How will I start the filter? I don't know exactly. THe instructions say to push prime button twice, but I don't know if I do that before or after I plug it in.
    Thanks in advance!

2. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I can try and help. But I've never owned a Marineland canister. I would put the black pad on the bottom of the bottom tray, then put the noodles on top of that. Personally I would ditch the bio balls and replace them with Seachem Matrix. But either way, but your bio meida on the bottom of the next tray with the white pad on top. A link for Matrix.  
    Also when your polishing pad needs replaced, you can use poly fill from a craft store. It's cheaper and works just as well.   You don't need this brand/style specifically. Any poly fiber material will work.

I have stands that you can stack one tank on top of another. Both tanks have canisters on them. So your canister can be sitting right next to your tank and still work fine. No need to have it 2 feet below the tank. Canisters are gravity fed. But you can still get a siphon started.

Prime it before you plug it in. It needs to be full of water before you start it up.

3. Erbarry

Erbarry Valued Member Member

Bottom tray should be foam and I prefer to put the polishing pad right on top of the foam pad as it seems to keep the bio media cleaner. The top tray should be bioballs/ ceramic rings. I would use Matrix or Biomax in the top tray. Prime before you turn it on.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  4. BDpups

They have 3 trays? For some reason I was thinking there was 2. They water flows through the bottom to the top on these filters don't they?

5. Erbarry

Oops you are right it is only 2 trays. For some reason I thought the video had the carbon and bio balls in different trays. I don't have this canister but judging by the setup and manual I'd say yes it flows from bottom to top.

6. BDpups

Cool. Thanks.

I like the idea of putting a polishing pad on top of the coarse pad. Never thought of that myself.

7. OP
    OP
    g

Thanks for the great advice! I got the system started, and a new problem arose. The filter started blowing air through the hose. First, all seemed well for a few seconds. Then It would be a little group of tiny air bubbles, then normal, then a little air bubbles, then normal. Like a cycle. I tilted the canister to my right, and the air got worse and even stopped water-flow until I turned it to normal position. Then I tilted the other direction, and boom- no more air nothing, just good waterflow. So, I couldn't stand there forever and hold it at an angle so I unplugged it and here I am. Does anyone have help for me?

No , mine has the foam on the the bottom, then another tray with the ceramic, then a tray with the bio plastic balls, then an empty tray. So I think there's 4 unless the bottom one doesn't count so it would be 3

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2015
  8. BDpups

It will eventually purge all the air out of it. Just let it run.

You could fill the empty tray up with something if you want. Filter floss or bio media.

9. a

amydeb Valued Member Member

I do not have the same filter but the one I purchased might as well not had any instructions at all. They were SO bad. I press my prime button much more than twice, to push as much air as possible out before I plug it in. Once I do, I tilt it left for a few seconds, then right, back and forth. Air bubbles will come out each way, then sometimes only certain angles. I rock it each way maybe 3 or 4 times. Just do it slowly and the air will work it's way out.

10. Erbarry

Maybe the 160 has 2 trays, the 220 has 3 and the 360 has 4. I would set the bottom with foams, the middle with the balls and the last 2 with ceramic rings or buy some Matrix/Biomax. Extra bio media doesn't hurt and if you ever need to setup a new tank you can just take some out of there. Are your hoses cut to what you need and nothing more? Press the prime button a few times once it's going and then tilt around.

11. OP
    OP
    g

Thanks guys, I didn't know about the tilting it after it's started. The instructions don't say that of course. I added some bags of carbon. I plan to run the filter in the tank for 2 days and then start to add the fish. Is that long enough? I used tap water that is "softened" with the iron-out. I also can add some of the stuff in the store called something like instant aquarium-starter. Is that good/bad?

12. Erbarry

Most don't use carbon unless they are trying to remove medicine, smell and a few other things and it has to be replaced every few weeks. Have you read about the nitrogen cycle? I did a fish less cycle and it took me weeks on my 55g and for my 10g I used seachem stability as soon as I added fish. Tetra safe start or seachem Stabilty is what most will recommend. Did you use a dechlorinator on the water? Many suggest Prime which I will be switching to after my aqua safe bottle is all gone.

13. BDpups

You need to cycle the tank first to grow the bacteria that will consume all the ammonia that the fish waste and uneaten food will give off. There are a few different ways of doing this. I'm sure there is an article on the forum explaing it.

Or get some bacteria in a bottle. I like Seachem Stability. A lot of folks here seem to favor Tetra Safe Start.

14. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm trying to turn the tide and get more people to favor Seachem Stability. It's a MUCH better product with less flaws. It doesnt have to wait 24 hours after using Prime, it can be put 30 minutes after. Also, it can tolerate higher levels of ammonia and nitrite before the bacteria dies off. The biggest advantage over TSS is that it doesnt matter whether you do a water change or not. You have to wait 2 weeks to do a water with TSS. What if your fish are stressed? You do a water change and so, TSS basically becomes ineffective and you waste your money?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice