How’s My Set Up? 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Makenna L, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Makenna L

Makenna L New Member Member

Hi everyone!

It’s been some time since the last time I posted. I’m happy to say that my tank is THRIVING! Finally after like 4 months!

I now have a 20 gallon long tank. Here’s its inhabitants:
    2 live plants
    Filter
    Heater consistently at 78 degrees F
    1 female Koi Betta (she is so happy)
    1 sunrise Platy
    2 Mollies
    3 guppies

My water parameters are excellent. I check them weekly 24 hours after each water change. (I also add bacteria, salt, and water conditioner after each 25% water change)
    The water is crystal clear. I had a brief problem with milky water.

I want to know if anyone recommends against adding more fish? Or if I am at capacity? It’s an addiction getting more Little friends.

Let me know what you guys think.
    Thank you!
    Makenna L

IMG_8255.jpg IMG_8260.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  2. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't add the salt after the change.

I'd take out the mollies and platy because they poop a lot.

I would also add more plants.

3. OP
    OP
    Makenna L

I don’t plan to get rid of any of them. I have the time to clean up the tank frequently, so that’s not a problem.

I can certainly add more plants.

The salt I have it especially for helping with stress. It was recommended by a long time tank keeper.

4. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

The livebearers dont mind salt, marine salt however with the betta it will cause stress.

5. OP
    OP
    Makenna L

Do you think my tank is at capacity? Or can I add more fish?

6. AdamS

AdamS New Member Member

I don’t think you’d have any issues with a couple more guppies as long as you keep up on your water and make sure they’re like all the same gender so you don’t end up with a ton of them. Just make sure the betta doesn’t get aggressive towards them with they’re bigger tail fins. Just my personal thoughts

7. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

You could add some cory catfish to fill the bottom level of the tank. They like to be in shoals of minimum 6, but I wouldn't add more than 6 in your set up either. Look into the types that are smaller.

But if you are adding more fish, I would increase the decor in your tank so that the fish have hiding spots if they are being bothered by any other fish. Fake plants, real plants or any sort of plastic/rock/wood decor will do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice