How’s Is My Fish Nitrogen Cycle Looking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Dragoscythe, May 23, 2019.

1. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

AE3DA02C-A015-4722-9806-2EED3EA400CD.jpeg496AF04A-357F-4810-9B5A-DDAEB5B3DF4F.jpeg So I’ve been cycling my tank for about a month now, and when I started I tried using the aqui quick start and it just seemed to mess a lot of things up. But then I started to use prime instead while having guppies in the tank. I also used the seachem stability for the week, and while all this was happening my ammonia was staying high while I had a constant nitrate. ( 2 to 5 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate). After I stopped the stability when it was finished I now have had the tank up and going for a month and everything seems to be going about the nitrogen cycle like normal now. So currently this picture is showing how my current perimeters are. Before and after a 25% water change, which have been being done about once every other day to about every third day.

2. HakimChefNew MemberMember

It looks like it's going good, just need that ammonia to hit 0ppm and the nitrates to be between 5 and 10 to have a healthy, cycled tank.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  3. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

Okay so it’s pretty normal for there to be both a small amount of both ammonia and nitrites in there with the nitrates?

4. HakimChefNew MemberMember

While cycling, yes. When it's done, ammonia and nitrites should be at 0ppm.

5. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

Okay I wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be just nitrites and nitrates and no ammonia.

6. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Have you tested your pH level yet? If so, what is your pH? If not what are you waiting for?:p:D

At a pH below 7.0, ammonia starts turning into ammonium and by the time the pH level gets down close to 6.0, all ammonia has been converted into ammonium. The good thing about ammonium is that it is far less toxic than ammonia (some claim ammonium is non-toxic). The bad thing about ammonium is that it is a terrible food source for the bacteria, and if your pH level is too low you will never get the tank to cycle, since you will never grow that ammonia converting bacteria colony.

If it turns out your pH is too low, you will need to raise it. You can use crushed coral or even a cuttle bone (like they sell for birds). As they dissolve in the water, they release calcium which will raise your KH and pH. But beware, as your pH starts rising, the not so toxic ammonium starts turning into highly toxic ammonia, so you'll need to combat that with daily partial water changes with Prime.

Also, have you tested your tap water. I suspect that you may find that your tap water contains some nitrates.

Best of luck!

7. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

So my ph level of my tank is at 7.6 currently, as for my tap water it does seem to have a natural ppm of 5.0 nitrates. So do I need to do something to change that or is that fine?

8. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

is 1st pic before and 2nd pic after?

its looks like the bottle bacteria help establish the nitrite bacteria very quickly. the ammonia bacteria is slower. but that correlates to what a lot of people have reported, that they never see nitrites when they used bottle bacteria.

9. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

Yeah the first pic was before the 2nd one after doing a 25% water change and I now do have nitrites so yeah it seems to be doing the normal cycle now

10. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I have about 5ppm nitrates in my tap water also...nothing g to worry about, but it does explain why you have ammonia and nitrates present at this time

11. Pescado_VerdeWell Known MemberMember

I think you're looking good. At that pH you should have no problems unless you just have some really weird tap water. When it is finally and completely cycled you won't find any ammonia. Zero. You'll want to continue to monitor your water for awhile after that but not like you probably have been. Eventually all you'll be really looking at is your nitrate levels to know when you need to do a water change. Good luck!

12. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

Thank you, and do you think because of the quick start stuff a month was basically just wasted with it running? Or was it just majorly slowed down since it looks like ammonia is just now becoming nitrites?

13. Pescado_VerdeWell Known MemberMember

A month is normal, bottled bacteria or not. What was said wasn't that nitrites weren't being produced; what was said was that plenty of nitrites are being produced and going straight to nitrates. The bottled bacteria seems to have more of the nitrite eating bacteria, or at least they multiply more quickly. Hope that makes sense.

14. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

Yeah it does and thank you, I appreciate the help. I wasn’t sure if I had just basically wasted an entire month or not.

15. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

If your nitrate level in your tank is 5ppm and your tap water contains 5ppm nitrate, then no nitrites were converted into nitrates.

16. DragoscytheNew MemberMember

Yeah I realize that, now that I know my tap water already has nitrates in it.