Houseplants You've Had Success With?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Just wondering what houseplants members have had success growing emmersed in their tanks?

Right now I'm having good luck with Ficus pumila, and have had success with pothos and various philodendrons.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have been doing Pothos for a year in several tanks. It does well. I tried 2 large Chinese Evergreen by the suggestion of someone else and though they are still alive, they have not thrived. They are gorgeous at the top of the tank though and I really want to find out what I'm doing wrong, as they are supposed to be perfect for growing out of the tanks.I have also tried Spider plants, but they instantly started dying. Again, not sure why, as I know other people have been very successful with them. I also ready that any herbs are really good. I have tried Mint, Basil, and Rosemary with no success. Lol. The only thing I can get to thrive is Pothos so far. I'm always trying new things and looking for other ideas as well. There has to be something that I can't kill...Lol. I would be very interested in learning how you do the creeping fig, as that seems interesting. I've wanted some for outside of my house for ages! Never thought it could be used with the aquarium.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Not really a houselant, per se, but I have two sweet potato vines that are going gangbusters in my 75 gallon right now. I have had them in there for a month and the vines are about 3-4 ft long. They look really lovely draped over the side of the tank now, athough the grow out phase was a little awkward (or maybe just ugly, lol)
I just put my Chamaedorea elegans (parlour palm/bella palm) in my HOB filter yesterday, as I saw my LFS had one growing out of their large aquarium-terrarium combo tank and it looked great! It was just in a little glass pot as a bare root plant so I decided to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes, it hasn't been growing much out of the pot so maybe this will help.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@JessicaSwanlake-I just got my mother one of those bella palms yesterday for her birthday!! I should have put it in my tank instead, lol. Those are so pretty. Now I need to go find one of those for me and hope I don't kill it in the tank. : ) Definitely keep us posted on how it's doing, I really like that idea.

JessicaSwanlake

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@JessicaSwanlake-I just got my mother one of those bella palms yesterday for her birthday!! I should have put it in my tank instead, lol. Those are so pretty. Now I need to go find one of those for me and hope I don't kill it in the tank. : ) Definitely keep us posted on how it's doing, I really like that idea.
I hadn't seen it before either and I just had one sitting around! I asked the LFS worker and she said stores sometimes try to sell it to be planted submurged but it will melt immeadiately or die after about a month. She said they mostly sell it for ponds since it can get pretty big (like 6 ft!) but mine is only about 8 inches after 5 months so I think I have a few years before that happens.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom