Houseplants and fishtank water

Status
Not open for further replies.

proudtobeafarmgirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just curious if anyone else has noticed how well thier house plants do with waterings from the dirty fish tank water. Mine love it, especially the really yucky stuff from siphoning the gravel,the dirtier the better. They are beautiful green and growing like mad. Good use for all the water from these water changes, I feel bad just dumping it down the drain. I also water the lawn with it.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I used tank water to water my garden. The flowers lovvvve it!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I use it to water my outdoor plants. It makes morning glories, moonflowers, pansies, and petunias grow like Little Shop of Horrors

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a couple of suculent plants catci types altho they like it dry and only get watered once every few days at most they love the fish water. I've hard that roses do too, but I don't get dirty enough water to test that theory out.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I use my siphoned tank water on all of my plants. They love it!

Ken

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
maybe i am the only one whose plants died when i put tank water on them...

My cute little potted herb garden shrivelled up pretty quick. I also got a gross white-green algae lokking thing growing on top of my soil. Maybe because it was when i had the bad ammonia spikes?

Tigerlily

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My plants do extremely well with tank water. The Norfolk Pine in my living room was a sad looking rescue and is now close to 10 feet tall. Eeeek! All my other plants have put on incredible growth too. We're talking a jungle here! LOL

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Bubbly

We'll all still like you even if you do have a brown thumb and not a green one (lol just teasing).

You didn't have any salt in your tank did you? Any medications? I see you use Flourish Excel. I'm surprised that your tank water did harm to your plants. Sorry to hear it You haven't over watered have you?

Ken

barefootsavage

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
my pond filter water feeds and waters a couple of stands of buddha belly bamboo, and they are growing at almost twice their predicted rate, my indoor tank water goes to passion vines and golden hawaiian bamboo, they also love it. both of these groups of plants are fertilizer hogs. the first passion fruit are just about ripe... I'll let you know if they taste fishy

jeniferdwn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never thought of doing that, but here in the office we use the coffee left over in the pot at the end of the day. No flavors, sugar, creamer etc, just black coffee. Plants love it!

bubblynutter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hello Bubbly

We'll all still like you even if you do have a brown thumb and not a green one (lol just teasing).

You didn't have any salt in your tank did you? Any medications? I see you use Flourish Excel. I'm surprised that your tank water did harm to your plants. Sorry to hear it You haven't over watered have you?

Ken
ha! Yes, i have a brown thumb... But at least the other one is blue!

i use flourish comprehensive at the moment, haven't bought excel yet.

Over watering is highly likely!

gzarr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been using old tank water on my houseplants and they LOVE it! They stay perky in between waterings where as before they would droop.

Has anyone tested this on a vegetable garden with positive results?

fry

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't have any houseplants but maybe I'll have to get one to try it

Angela_96

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I actually have done this this year and WOW my flowers are super happy!!! It actualy revived some flowers I was worried about.

jclee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My plants seem to love the fish water, but nothing compares to frog poop. I've got a planted, tree frog vivarium, and it's amazing how excellently the plants do in it, even by comparison to those that I water from the fish tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom