Household Items used in tanks

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by Ziggi, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

So I'm having trouble keeping my diffuser down where I want it in my tank, currently I have a small tube that it's tied to but the string is getting loose so I was going to use a rubber band to attach it. Then I went on a tangent wondering what household items have been used in a tank for various purposes (I've seen a fork used for a similar reason, I've used a wisk during a power outage, all of the DIY items :D I envy the creativity ya'll have!).

Figured I'd ask here :) What random object did you look at like "hmmm ... this could double as a great ___________ for my tank!"

2. 3

3aquariums Valued Member Member

broken, clean terra cotta pots make nice hiding places.

3. aylad

aylad Well Known Member Member

4. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Turkey baster ( good for cleaning up small debris from the sand, picking up baby mts snails )
    Extendable bbq fork - good for putting veggies on for the snails
    medicine dropper - good for measuring the tank water to use in the api vials
    Toothbrush - scrubbing small areas

I even used the Aqueon water changer this past weekend to fill up the bucket under the Christmas tree!

5. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Ziggi Well Known Member Member

:D ha! making aquarium tools household multifunctional! awesome!
    I use a medicine syringe for my API tests and measuring out ferts also :) and I've got plastic disposable cups for each tank (my dollar store glass ones walked away) for my water test samples (instead of constantly dipping)
    I've heard of using Osmicote for plants, but I've never done so myself.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I use my turkey baster almost every day :) I also bought a set of forks to use with zucchini/cucumber slices.

7. guppygrl

guppygrl Valued Member Member

Turkey baster is a wonderful tool in my fry tank.

I'm trying plastic pot scrubbers in my filter but that doesn't really count as it's not in the aquarium.

I am interested too to see what others are using!

8. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

At the dollar store I bought an 8 pack of plastic suction cups with flexible hooks on them. They are great for holding airline hoses, holding veggies near the bottom, grabbing onto the plexiglass top, etc

9. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

You gave me an excellent idea. I have several (not using at the moment) suction cup hooks. I have been having issues keeping the Mbunas from pulling the tubing out of where I have them set. The hooks will resolve the issue! Thank you, aquatic! :)

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Plastic Chop Sticks are great for moving Marimo Balls around in my hob refugiums.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice