Hours of sleep?

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello everybody. I'm just wondering how many hours of sleep do fish need? I know for humans it's on average 8 hours per day but how about for fish?

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think fish sleep in the way that we do. As far as I know, it's much more "lights off" and "lights on" - 8-10 hours of lights on time.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yup, I think fish just go into a state of rest over night whereby everything in there body basically shuts down except what they need to live and swim. My lights are always on for quite a while. On a normal week day mine probably have lights on for about 12 hours.

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
From my experience,some of my fish ''sleep'' when I turn the light off. I normally leave my light on for 10 hours. I do think that fish sleep, as when I wake up before turning the light on I see my Blood Parrot Cichlid next to the heater upside-down, tail pointing up, nose pointing down. First time I saw it I thought he was dead, now I just figure he's catching some Zs.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Aren't the number of hours lights are on for mainly for the health of plants? I always wondered whether fish need artificial light at all. Given the conditions most of them come from the bright artificial light we use are way more light that they would have experienced in the wild.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes fish do sleep but they have more instinctual body functions happening than humans when they do. Breathing, swim bladder control, pectoral fin control & survival instinct are all instinctual & require no thought on the fishes part. Us humans just need to close our eyes & breathe. The fish is asleep but it can do all of the body functions mentioned above & be aware of danger close by.

In thier natural environment tropical fish get about 9hrs of full darkness with a sunrise & sunset changing of the light period either side of that. A minimum of 8hrs lights out is needed IMO & 10hrs is even better.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aren't the number of hours lights are on for mainly for the health of plants? I always wondered whether fish need artificial light at all. Given the conditions most of them come from the bright artificial light we use are way more light that they would have experienced in the wild.
No they do not absoluley NEED to have the lights on but it is certainly of benefit to them for thier continued health. UV light is important for them to remain healthy in the long term & they will feel much more comfortable if there is a defined night & day.

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was just wondering that because sometimes I let my lights on till about 23:00. Can that greatly deteriorate their health?

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At about 8:00 a.m. Well, I guess the light of the sun has already woke them early in the morning, so I think that won't be much of an issue.

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes fish do sleep but they have more instinctual body functions happening than humans when they do. Breathing, swim bladder control, pectoral fin control & survival instinct are all instinctual & require no thought on the fishes part. Us humans just need to close our eyes & breathe. The fish is asleep but it can do all of the body functions mentioned above & be aware of danger close by.

In thier natural environment tropical fish get about 9hrs of full darkness with a sunrise & sunset changing of the light period either side of that. A minimum of 8hrs lights out is needed IMO & 10hrs is even better.
What can happen if they get 5 hours per day instead of 12 hours? Will they be ill?

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've left the lights on late several times and have noticed that they do exactly what we do when we are tired. They sleep, even with the lights on. This obviously isn't the best thing ever, just like us sleeping with the lights on.

I've noticed that they usually hover, or hide somewhere while sleeping, and they are slow to react sometimes. I really believe that this is the time that most fin nipping issues occur, especially with any type of nocturnal creatures in the tank.

I think the more important thing to consider when it comes to fish sleep is that they are instinctual and habit loving creatures, so the most important thing is to keep a very regular lights on/lights off schedule if you want them to really be happy. This is best achieved by spending a few bucks on a electrical timer, they carry them at the hardware store and Petsmart.

Once the fish get used to a certain time for lights on/lights off, they really begin to welcome it, you will see less zipping around when the lights go on or off, because they actually get familiar and comfortable with the on/off times

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think each species is different as far as what they do during "lights out". Of course, you have some nocturnal species (like my kuhli loaches, who actually are active day and night, not just night). But I have noticed that if I peek at the tank during lights out, my blood parrots have all retired to their individual caves, my rummy nose tetras are all suspended in space in a tight shoal, my rainbow shark is cruising the tank, etc.

It's actually kind of fun to watch the tank with the lights out.

ariolex

Well Known Member
Reaction score
And what if fish have lights out but there is still light in the surroundings so that in reallity the fish get like 3hours to no time of "absolute darkness".

Last edited:

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And what if fish have lights off but there is still light in the surroundings so that in reallity the fish get like 3hours to no time of "absolute darkness".
They adapt to it, imagine all of the fish in places like alaska where in some parts during the summer it is daylight for 18 or even 24 hours a day.

gokaran

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
yep my fish get about 5 hours of lights off because we run a business from home the lights stay on till late sometimes after midnight(its a cooking business so we always up till late preparing for the next day)

What i noticed is that the fiash also like thier privacy when sleeping. I have 6 cardinal tetras and hang togther during the day at night each one retreats to its own little corner and "sleeps alone"

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a collection of trees through the house that are strung with small white lights..... it's basically just enough that you don't trip over stuff or dogs if you get up at night.

The fish have all lived with this type of really soft light since day one and they have definitely adjusted. I don't think many houses can boast complete darkness. Not if you have any windows to speak of. Or children. Or clumsy husbands.

DaroRs

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
And what if fish have lights out but there is still light in the surroundings so that in reallity the fish get like 3hours to no time of "absolute darkness".
Oh you remind me that when I switch off the lights at 19:00, sometimes my father is still watching television and the aquarium gets a little light, but the fish are still active. Will they go to sleep when they want to at that time?

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The fish will take care of themselves as long as the tank light is off.....

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good afternoon,

Always try to mimic (as much as you can within reason) the benefits/necessities the fish would have in the wild. Remember that we're trying to create, as much as possible, a natural environment for these creatures.

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom