Hot Weather Hard To Keep Water Cool!

Discussion in 'Temperature' started by Alex Lautru, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Alex Lautru

Alex LautruNew MemberMember

Hey guys!

So ive been pretty bummed out... my fish, shrimp and snails have been dying one at a time... it seems like when one doesn't feel good the rest are fine.. once it dies another fish gets sick and dies.. one at a time... water is good.. ive done water changes.. but its been soo hot here thay my temp of my tank goes up past 83... now is this the cause? Im not sure... could it be perhaps one fish i got might have been sick and so now its just slowly wiping out my tank?? My SHRIMP are dying!!!!! Those guys are usually so resilient!!!

Im at my wits end... i cant seem to stop this!!! Help??? Should i change my whole tank and save the fish that i have left or just let then die off and start fresh... its a 40 Gallon.

Thanks!

2. nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

I can't comment on the shrimp and snails, but what kinds of fish?

3. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

4. boxtop

boxtopValued MemberMember

Not sure if heat is killing your fish but it could be if the temp is changing very rapidly.

Is there any chance that you could get one of those stand alone room air conditioners to keep the room your tank is in at a more tolerable temp for the fish?

5. nbalaw2016

nbalaw2016Valued MemberMember

^^ Boxtop makes a good point. I purchased a small AC "box" which I have pointed at one of my tanks which is rather close to a window. It's not powerful enough to cool the room, but keeps the aquarium temp roughly at what I've set the heater to. They're about $40-50 on amazon.

6. JKC18

JKC18New MemberMember

I use a small Honeywell desk fan pointed directly over the water to cool my tank down. It does cause a lot of evaporation, but it dropped it a few degrees.
    And keep in mind that when you WC the water from the tap could be much cooler, ie 77 degrees, than the tank ie 84 degrees, causing a shock to the critters.
    More pointedly though, higher temps mean less dissolved oxygen.
    Higher temps also mean increased metabolism, and therefore greater production of waste.
    Check your parameters before and after a WC and post that here, along with the type of fish, shrimp, and snails in there. Some like it hot, others don’t.

7. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Yes! When it's very hot I make sure to check the temp of my tanks. When it gets close to 78-80 I open the lid and point a desk fan at the top of the tank; it really does help! Ditto about the airation; toss an air stone or two in there to get some surface movement

Lights off also! I know LEDs are supposed to run cooler but they still generate heat! I've got a Finnex Planted plus that gets very hot! Even my desk lamp bulbs get hot.

8. CHJ

CHJValued MemberMember

Fan is most affordable and least effective. Adding a big flat plate/sheet and pumping water over it as an ornamental waterfall in front of the fan ads to cost and increases cooling (and looks pretty). lots of rapid water flow above the water line from say a canister can help. Then there is a swamp cooler (a large coil of copper pipe with a wet rag/sheet/towel on it + fan. You pump water through the pipe to cool it). Next up in cost are chillers and after that "fish room" for perfect temps summer and winter. Depending on how you do it you may be able to make a fish room with a window air conditioner and get in under the chiller price.
    If you are electronically inclined you can get creative with tec plates. They are not too spendy and you can harvest them out of cheap/free electric coolers on craigslist (remember to put large thermal pasted heatsinks and fans on their hot side).

Or pick livestock based on temps. My amazonian fish are upstairs in large tanks, if the room temp is 98 they do not care (the tank may not hit 90 and was 84 to begin with). In the basement go the big tanks with fish that like the mid 70s.. well OK the pleco thing is out of control so heaters running in some of those tanks too.
    My desk tank upstairs is unfortunately 7.5 gal. My wangs (PRL shrimp) vanished a year or two ago. My Neos are fine during the heat spikes due to natural selection. I though 10 false cories died as 10 vanished a few weeks ago and haven't been seen until right now... I ran my hand all around the inside of the tank and had 2 show up out. now they are all right up in the front corner eating. weird. If your house goes over 110F I recommend desert pupfish! (I did have a weather loach survive water that temp as a kid)

And for most expensive solution.. Dig a dream pond in the back yard! a bazillion gallon koi bond will be great summer and winter (for koi).

What is the temp range on a snail? For some reason it never occurred to me that they have a temp range. No one has ever mentioned pulling all your plants and fish and gunning heaters as a way to clear a tank of snails. This seems cheaper than coppering them.

And it may sound stupid but for desperate moments having a pile of silicone bread pans full ice in your freezer can save stuff. I may be willing to consume piles of gas station ice but I wouldn't trust it for my fish.

9. LDan

LDanValued MemberMember

Thank you for these ideas! I like the waterfall idea and I've never heard of a swamp cooler! I have to look it up, sounds interesting

10. JKC18

JKC18New MemberMember

Rachel O'Leary has a video on making a DIY swamp cooler to cool down her greenhouse where she breeds fish. I don't know if that's your solution, but it is still an interesting watch.

11. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

When I lived in Florida, on days where I could not keep my tank cool enough, I used 2 liter bottles that I had filled with water and froze. Think big ice cubes. You could try this as the cheapest method. Or, depending on the size of your tank, use the smaller 20 ounce bottles. It's unsightly, but it works. At least it did for me.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019